Touch-Starved

Yu's POV:

I can't help but notice how exhausted Yosuke looks.

Even though he's across the table from me, it feels like he's the only important thing right now.

His entire body slumps on the table, and I can't help but feel worried.

"I can't believe it," Rise shakes her head. "I really thought this case was over..."

"You were right after all, Yosuke," Chie scoffs, nudging him in the shoulder.

"O-Ow," he groans, his arm collapsing to his side.

I open my mouth to ask what's wrong. But then I realize that I'm the only one who noticed. I don't want to point it out in front of everyone like this.

"So... Who was that?" Yukiko murmurs.

"If we're following the pattern—" Teddie begins.

"It was Naoto," Kanji confirms.

"...Are you sure?" Chie stammers.

He nods slowly. "The bastard's been digging around the case again. Got dragged into it."

Rise sighs. "This sucks..."

"Let's just rescue him," Yukiko says. "Easy!"

"Or we could try and catch the killer?" I suggest.

All eyes are on me. Besides Yosuke's, who are closed tightly, like trying to block the sun out—if there was any sun.

"We know Naoto," I explain. "Me and Kanji do, at least. And he knows the deal about people who show up on TV."

"Wow," Chie mutters. "He found that out faster than us."

"Way to go, Detective Prince." Rise looks defeated.

"So he'll trust us, right?" Kanji says. "We gotta protect him. We gotta stop the killer from taking him."

"Did he say anything about it at school?" Teddie asks.

Kanji shakes his head. "He wasn't in today."

"That's not a good sign," Yukiko grunts.

"We still have time," I say. "Kanji and I will head to Naoto's place. The rest of you can—"

Yosuke's light snores are what disturb me. Not because I'm offended, but because I know there's something wrong with him. But, will he tell me?

"We can, what?" Rise snaps. "We're not just gonna sit around here, playing with our thumbs!"

Kanji must notice my staring, and sighs. "Me and Rise'll head to Naoto's. The rest of you, gear up."

"Since when did you become the leader?" Chie teases.

"Since Sensei can't keep his eyes off of Yosuke," Teddie chuckles.

I ignore him. Yosuke seems to, too. Or maybe he just can't hear.

"Let's go, then," Rise says.

Everyone stands, ready to disperse, but Yosuke doesn't move a muscle.

"Yu." I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah?" I whisper.

"If you're gonna stay here with Yosuke... Tell him I'm sorry, alright?"

"Sorry?" I splutter. "What for? He's always been in the wrong."

"I don't want to fight with him anymore," he sighs. "Not when Naoto's life is on the line here."