❁chapter thirty-seven - the worst of me

You were sitting in the kitchen table, waiting for Eren to arrive. A few minutes had passed, but you felt like they were hours.

Your head was a mess right now. A lot of things were going on right now.

Less than 24 hours ago, you were talking with Historia and Mikasa in the bookshop. Now, that felt like a dream. Your life had fallen apart in hours.

Eren telling you that he was moving had ended in you finding out that he had a brother. And that led to you discovering that he had gone to the same school as you, but you didn't remember.

You still couldn't believe it. It was not that you forgot him what frustrated you the most, but the fact that he had been hiding that to you for so much time was totally unreal to you.

You had shown a part of yourself that you had never shown anyone else to a person who knew everything. A person that had lived the story you were telling.

But still, it didn't make sense. You knew you and your friend group had bullied Eren, but you were friends. That's why you didn't know why he hated you so much when you came new to Paradise.

There was no reason for him to disappear and then not telling you anything when you found each other months later. There was no reason for him not telling you everything these past few months, when you were so desperate to recover your memories.

The box with all the things Eren had from Marley was on the table. You put it on one of the chairs, so Eren wouldn't see it when he entered. Firstly, you wanted to know where he had been all day.

You heard the door opening. Your heart skipped a beat. It was so sad to think that sound made you the happiest until yesterday, but now it scared you because you truly didn't know how all of this was going to end up.

When Eren opened the door and made eye contact with you, you knew you weren't seeing the same boy you had seen these past months.

Now that you knew the truth, you couldn't see him in the same way. The seriousness in his face only showed you how much he was fighting for everything that was going on in his life. A life that he didn't want you to be part of.

He was looking at you the same way he did yesterday or even worse. It seemed like he knew what was going on.

Eren was going to go to his room, but you remembered how there were probably pieces of broken glass on the floor. Plus, wasn't he going to say anything to you?

"Eren" you called him. He stopped right before he could open the door.

Saying his name now is so weird.

The boy looked at you with those empty eyes. You were honestly scared of him now.

"What?" he asked. You raised one of your eyebrows, "How what? Where have you been all day?".

Eren looked at his room, and you instantly knew he was thinking about his brother because of the picture you had found in that same room.

"Are you going to answer?" you questioned. He rolled his eyes, "I've been around".

You were now even more sure he had been at Marley, "You've been around all night and morning?".

"I don't have to give you any explanation" Eren answered and tried to open the door again.

"Sit down now" you ordered, looking at the chair that was in front of you. Eren saw your expression, and he got kind of scared, "What happened?".

His voice tone was much calmer. You looked at the box that was hidden in another chair. What hasn't happened?