Last Words

~~~~~

POV: You

Part 1.

It's been a few hours since Bertholdt was taken away. I've calmed down since then, the walk and speaking to Marlowe helped me. Right now I am at the door to the dungeon of the Palace. Erwin had me come here. I had asked Erwin's opinion on the situation, his standing on all of this was a logical one, seeing this as the best option. By my side was Levi and Erwin.

"Go ahead inside, he's the only one down there. No guards or anything. Talk as much as you want" Erwin tells me as he opens the door.

"No guard? And just talk?" I question.

"Yes, Levi will be at the door being the guard. Historia will be joining you soon" Erwin says.

"No need to rush, the sun isn't going down anytime soon" Levi says to me.

I nod then head down the dungeon stairs, Erwin closes the door behind me as I descended. I get to the bottom of the stairs and see a line of cells, I walk down the line and in the middle cell I see Bertholdt, he laid on the cot staring at the ceiling.

"Is it time already?" He asks in a quiet voice.

"No, I'm just here to talk" I say to him.

"What's there to talk about?" He asks in a depressed tone.

"Anything" I say then leaned up against the stone wall facing him. I then sigh "I'm sorry this is happening"

He sits up "I am as well. Though I think should of been expected this. I guess it was naive of me to think that everyone was going to forgive me for what I did"

"I don't expect everyone to forgive you, they didn't go through the things we've been through. They don't know what it's like to be forced to be a killer" I tell him "I don't want them to know either"

"(Y/n), why are you so forgiving?" He asks me.

"Depends on the person. I look at more then the obvious. Yes you aided in killing hundreds of thousands of people, but what choice did you have. If you turned tail back to Marley instead of coming to the walls who knows what they would of done to you. They should be lucky that someone with emotions was the one who did the damage" I state to him "The whole story means everything when it comes to people and there actions"

"Would you of done the same thing if you were in my shoes?" Bertholdt asks as he gets out of the cot.

"I can't say, it's possible that I would of every choice you made if I was you" I say to him.

"Since I'm dying today, can you do something for me" Bertholdt tells me.

"Sure, anything" I answer.

He gulps "Protect Annie please" he says.

I raise a brow then sighed "You liked her didn't you" I say.

He hung his head "Yes....but she's made her choice...she seems more open with you then she was ever with me"

"Bertholdt look at me" I say as I stepped towards the cell. He looks up at me "I promise I will protect her with my entire being, and with her help, we'll one day bring Marley to its knees"

A reassuring smile appears on his face "Thank you, and when you do bring Marley to its knees. Show them the monster they created"

"Believe me, I will" I reply.

We hear the door to the dungeon followed by footsteps before the door closed. I glance towards the stair well, Bertholdt steps close to the bars of the cell to see who it is. The steps reach the bottom of the stairs and we see Historia, royal garb and all. Once seeing Historia, Bertholdt got onto one knee, I bowed a bit.