eyt

Laughter comes to me from the kitchen as I rummage through the DVDs in the living room, looking for The Half-Blood Prince among Mind's shameless collection of sappy romantic movies.

Freen and my mother have been talking animatedly for over twenty minutes, Mom instantly taking a liking to her which honestly surprises me. Over the years, I got to learn that it takes a lot of efforts to come on good terms with my mother. Even when you're her own daughter.

She has always been critical of all my ex-girlfriends, always managing to find them some flaws, more than often with no arguments, just to justify the fact that she didn't want them in her house. On top of that, I've only ever dated girls that very open about their sexuality and I think it made my mother slightly uncomfortable. I'd say we got past the whole homophobic thing a while ago but since then my mom has not become the most pro-gay lady either.

Anyway, it's not as if Freen's my girlfriend. She's merely a friend meeting my parents for the first time. Though I can't help to feel strangely happy when another fit of laughter from the kitchen reaches my ears.

"Thank God." I mumble, finally discovering the DVD

As I get up, my mother enters the living room, a conspirational look on her face.

"I love that Freen girl! Don't worry, she went to the bathroom." She adds hurriedly as she sees me looking past her shoulder. "She's much more respectable than all of those girls you brought home."

"For fuck's sake mom!"

"It's true Becky. I'm glad you have a friend who likes boys for a change. Except for Irin, obviously."

I go to answer but I hear my dad's voice shouting for my mother to get in the car now or he'll drive off without her.

My mother shouts back that she'll be there in a minute before she grabs her purse, taking out 500.

"Here love. It's for your movie night or whatever. We'll be staying at granny's place tonight after dinner so take care of James and Mind. Call us if anything goes wrong."

Before I proceed what's going on, she gives me a kiss on the forehead and goes to leave, meeting Freen in the hallway.

"I have to go now Freen but it has been a pleasure to meet you!"

"The pleasure was mine Ms. Armstrong!"

"You can call me Tita. Good night girls!" And with that, she's gone, leaving me completely dumbfounded in the living room, still clutching the 500 in my hand. Ok, what the hell just happened?

I never heard my mother give a shit about movie's night or give me any money for it for that matter.

I'm still trying to comprehend the last minutes when I hear something beside me.

Turning my head, I meet Freen's intrigued eyes.

"Are you ok?"

"My mom must really like you."

Freen giggles a bit. "She's nice."

"She's a cliché that's what she is."

"Well, guess she's a nice cliché then."

"She gave me money and actually seemed to care about what I was going to do."

"So?"

"So, I should bring you here more often and maybe she'd pay for, I don't know, a trip to Paris!"

I wink, letting her know I'm joking and we both chuckle.

"You should definitely bring me here more often."