ten

"Ok Becky, you can go, we're closing."

I sigh with relief at Chin's words; the night has been unbelievably boring. Apparently, people have enough of candies on Halloween and don't buy fast-food. I can't seriously blame them though.

"Thanks." I mutter, taking off my cowboy hat before heading towards the employee room to change my clothes.

When I come back behind the counter, Chin's waiting for me to close the restaurant.

"You changed Becca? Why? You were already dressed as a cowboy, that would have been perfect for Halloween!" He laughs at his own joke, like the loser that he is.

I give Chin a fake smile before slipping past him to head outside. There's no way I'm staying here one more minute than necessary.

"See you Chin."

Nights are getting chillier, I think, stuffing my hands in the pocket of my leather jacket as I nuzzle further into my big grey scarf.

I check my phone to see I have two new messages, the first from Mind telling me the party starts at 10 and the second from Irin to remind me her, Nop and I are meeting in front of Nam's house at a quarter before ten, meaning I have forty-five minutes to go get my costume, go back to my place to get ready and head over. I can do this.

I start to walk faster, passing by many groups of children sporting various costumes. Irin and I had the best idea about two weeks ago and decided that along with Nop, we'd get costumes to be the Ninja Turtles, where missing one, but who cares.

After a few minutes, the neon sign of the rental costume shop appears ahead and I hurriedly head inside, eager to warm up.

A bored looking guy with countless piercings is sitting behind the counter, flipping through a magazine.

He doesn't even look up when I make my way towards him and it takes a loud clearing of my throat to get his attention.

"Yes, what can I do for you?"

It's Halloween night and we're in a costume shop, what do you think I could possibly want? Moron.

"Hi, I reserved a Ninja Turtle costume a week ago. The name's Becky Armstrong."

The guy sighs loudly before typing rapidly on his computer.

"You're not in here." He states a few seconds later, loudly chewing his gum.

"What? Can't you look another time? I called here last week and they told me it was okay!"

He types again. "Well, apparently it wasn't. You're definitely not registered for a Ninja Turtle costume."

"You have got to be kidding me!" I reply angrily, running a hand through my hair.

I take a deep breath.

"Do you have any costumes left then?"

Types. "I have a maid costume or a Santa Claus one."

"It's seriously all you've got?"

"We're on Halloween night dear, what did you expect?"

I sigh, taking out my wallet. "I'll take the maid then." Fuck. My. Life.

When I arrive home fifteen minutes later, I instantly make my way to Mind and I bedroom, finding her already drinking from a bottle of vodka while getting dressed for the party. Mind decided for an early 80's Madonna costume and I must say it suits her really well.