nayntin

Two weeks.

Two weeks since I last talked to Freen, since that disastrous night at Heng's party.

Two weeks since she carelessly broke my heart without even trying to defend herself or to give me some sort of explanations as to why she did it in the first place.

And yet, I keep thinking about her all the time.

I just can't seem to be doing anything else.

One minute, I don't know if I did the right thing by being so harsh with her but a moment later, I feel like crying because she just went and kissed Derek. And that kills me.

"Shit!" I shout when I feel a sharp pain, realizing too late I just dropped a bit of boiling frying oil on my hand whilst making some French fries.

"Watch your language Becky!" Chin lectures me from the back of the kitchen. "You've been incredibly distracted for a while now and I think it's starting to have a negative impact on your work. And we only want efficient employees here at Cowboy Joe's."

"Yeah, sorry..." I mumble, annoyed but also knowing he's right. My mind's always somewhere else lately, on a certain brown eyed blonde to be more precise, and it's been affecting not only my work here but also my work at school. I really am trying to move on but it's just not working.

I sigh, running a hand through my hair, putting my hat back on when I see new customers approaching.

The next hour goes by slowly; numbly doing all the things I'm used to do at work, pretty much like I've been doing all week. I feel like I'm on auto-pilot and hate myself for letting Freen have that much power over me.

And I know Freen doesn't want me I think to myself whilst pouring soft drinks to a couple of customers, she made it pretty clear last time didn't she? Then why can't I just forget her and move on? It's exhausting to have Freen constantly clouding my mind; it feels like I can't escape her.

She texted me yesterday, the first time she even tried to speak to me since the party, my heart practically skipping a beat when I read her name on my phone's screen.

I ignored the sharp disappointment I felt when it turned out she only just wanted to get her iPod back. I already knew I had it, having found it last week on my nightstand but I didn't really know what do with it. So I just kept it in my bag, thinking I could always give it back to her in school, trying to push away the little voice in my head telling me it also was a way to talk to Freen eventually.

I texted her back, saying that I'd be at Cowboy Joe's all afternoon, and that I'd have it with me. She didn't come yet and I'm starting to wonder if she will.

I make my way back to the counter, precariously holding three drinks in my hands.

"There you go. Enjoy your meal and thanks for choosing Cowboy Joe's!" I give them a feeble smile, the corners of my lips barely twitching upwards. That's all I'm able to give today.

It's my break soon and the restaurant is pretty empty, only a few people are eating in the back so, by sheer idleness, I grab a box of straws from under the counter and start to fill in the dispensers.

I keep glancing at the clock, wishing for the last ten minutes until my break to already be over.

I am completely lost in my thoughts when the small bell of the restaurant's front door tinkles, indicating a new customer. I roll my eyes, keeping my back turned as I go back behind my cash register.

"Welcome to Cowboy Joe's, how can I-" The words die in my throat when I meet hauntingly beautiful eyes, staring at me from the other side of the counter. My heart starts to pound rapidly and I feel my cheeks burning from the sudden and unexpected rush of blood.