Chapter 6

Thunder rumbles in the distance as the dark clouds roll closer to King's Landing. With each jolt of pain, the thunder strikes the ground. The storm growls louder and louder as it approaches the Red Keep, its anger threatening to rip the place apart.

The dragons in the pit can all feel the change in the air and growl out in anticipation. Vhagar slowly awakens, her eyes falling on a spot in the distance, waiting, listening to the scraping of shoes on a cold stone floor.

Lyanna gives slow but steady steps, feeling herself weaken with every step and every breath. Her vision already started to become weaker, blurring the path ahead of her.
With a groan she takes a few more steps, knowing she has not yet made it very far. She must make it to the Dragonpit, she has to get to Vhagar.

Behind her a thick trail of blood can be found, giving any person a clear path to follow towards her.

Lyanna tries desperately to stretch her mind to where Vhagar is resting, but the images in her head only go through in bits and pieces, sending snippets to Vhagar.

Vhagar can feel Lyanna trying to get a hold of her, unsure of what to make of the strange message being sent to her.

The storm reaches the city, covering the already dark city in more darkness. People quickly run to their houses, some seek shelter close to where they currently are.

The thunder strikes again, hitting a nearby roof with so much force, the house starts to crumble from the impact.

Lyanna tries again, dragging her legs along the hallway. She knows she is not going to make it, somehow she just knows that she will be found in the streets outside the Keep tomorrow morning. Bloodied and blue.

Lyanna can feel the presence of a person behind her but doesn't care enough to look at who it is. She is already dying, the least they can do now is finish the job. As she drags her feet, she also waits for the moment of impact from whoever is behind her.

Maybe it is Daemon, he must be mad that she is making such a mess in his wife's castle.

"Lyanna." her name echoes down the hallway as the person comes running towards her. His hands instinctively go towards the ever-growing red spot on her dress.
Lyanna looks at the blurry face, finding it hard to make out who is standing next to her.
"Who are you?" she asks shakily.
The figure press down hard on her stomach and she cries out in pain.
"Hold on, I'm getting you out of here."

Suddenly she is picked up and she can feel the relief rushing through her body. Her head rests against her unknown hero's shoulder as she can feel him start running. She doesn't even care where they are going, as long as it is far from the Red Keep.

The moment they make it out of the castle, the clouds open their gates and pour out as many droplets of rain as they can let go of.

First, only a few small drops fall on them, cooling down Lyanna's burning skin. Then it starts pouring, drenching them quickly.

Lyanna tries to look up at the person holding her, blinking her eyes to get them to focus, but the poison is busy working its way through her body, shutting down everything it touches.

Her breath starts to race more, her heart beating slower.
"Hold on, Lyanna."

Vhagar sees them coming from over the hill, she can make out the shape of Lyanna in the man's arms. Her nostrils flare as she smells the blood and the potent poison radiating from her. She roars, warning the person to not harm her any further.

"Calm, Vhagar. I am here to help," he says as he approaches her. He knows there is no way he will be able to get Lyanna on her back. She is too weak to even hold onto the saddle.

There is only one other thing left to do.

°°~~°°~~°°

Lyanna can only remember flashes of what happened. She remembered that she was in the air, flying, feeling the cool rain on her skin. It felt good. Both the wind and the water helped to cool her down. It must be part of what kept her alive for so long.

She becomes intently aware that she is being held onto the saddle, and that someone is sitting behind her. Who is brave enough to climb on top of Vhagar to help her?
"Aemond?" she asks, seeing her husband's face in her mind. She smiles, remembering the last time she saw him. At least Vhagar will take her body to him, he will have someone to bury.

"Just hold on, Lyanna. We are almost there." she hears the voice behind her.

She slips in and out of consciousness. The storm eventually subside, but the wind kept on getting colder. Goosebumps haunted her skin the rest of the way.

As she looks around her, she can see another pair of wings. Will the poison make her hallucinate before she dies? With no way of knowing for sure, she closes her eyes and lies back against the body behind her.

She groans as the poison starts burning in her veins again.

The dragon quickly approaches the castle below, not wanting to waste another minute in the air.

Alarms are sound as the dragon is spotted, causing the soldiers to grab their weapons and make ready for an attack.

Inside the castle, the people are awakening, getting dressed as quickly as possible to see what is happening outside.

"A dragon has been spotted, we are unsure who it is." a guard informs Aemond as he ties his sword to his hips. He doesn't wait for more information, running out of his chambers to find his brother and sister. They need to get to their dragons as soon as possible.

As he reaches Aegon's chamber all he can think about is if Lyanna has been captured. Is that why his sister is so bold to attack them?

Aegon is already dressed when Aemond knocked. They both run out into the cold night air, looking up into the sky and seeing the dragon swooping down towards Winterfell.

Suddenly a larger dragon breaks through the grey clouds and swoops down as well.
"Vhagar," Aemond says, feeling a sense of relief washing over him. But it doesn't last long. The unknown dragon cries out and lands outside the walls. He runs towards the gates, ordering the men to open.

He can see the shape of the rider atop the dragon. Aegon grabs Aemond's shoulder.
"That is Vermax, Brother," he states as they can now clearly see the shape of Jacaerys climbing down the dragon. But instead of climbing down swiftly, he descends slowly. Aemond and Aegon make their way towards him but Aemond suddenly freezes as he sees the shape of Lyanna slumped over his shoulder.

"No!" he yells and starts running as fast as he can. Jace sees Aemond coming and grabs hold of Lyanna, taking her off his shoulder. Aemond's hands go towards her unconscious body, pulling her against him. His eyes scan over her, seeing the blood on her dress, the blue around her mouth, and how pale her skin is.

"What did you do?" he asks, his voice sounding like all the demons from hell possessed him.
Jace puts up his hands and takes a few steps back, "It was Daemon. You need to get her to the maester. The dagger he used to stab her was laced with poison. I am not sure what he used."
Aemond stares at Jace, looking for any sign that he is lying, but he can't find any.

Without another word, he turns around and runs back toward the safety of their home.