Chapter 23

The dragon crashed onto the ground, toppling over in its haste to land. The rider holds on for dear life, trying not to fall off. He did not intend for his dragon to land so dramatically, but he needs it to look convincing. Especially after what happened at Winterfell before he came here. Lyanna took him aside to tell him of her suspicions about the threat Daemon sent Lord Tully. He also knew that it can only be a trap. 

"I need you to go back to King's Landing," she said to him, "Not just to be a spy, but to get me my sword."

He laughed, "Of course. The only problem is Daemon. He will not be so easily convinced with my words that I was held against my will."

Lyanna smiled, "I have just an idea on how to make it look more convincing. But only if you are willing to go through with it."

Soldiers from the Dragon Pit rush over to him to help him get off his dragon.

"My Prince," one of them address him, "We all thought you were dead. The Queen feared the worse."

Jace takes a deep breath as he looks at the men around him, "I might still be," he groans and take his hand from his stomach, showing them the gushing blood from the stab wound. This was the only way. Aemond was so happy when Lyanna asked him to roughen Jace up to look like he barely escaped with his life. 

"Please don't kill him. He just needs to look like he hardly escaped your clutches." Lyanna warned him.

And that is what he did, he didn't kill him, but he didn't go easy on him. The stab wound was Jace's idea because he knows that Aemond won't just let him escape with a few bruises. It must look like Aemond thought that the damage will kill him on the way home.

"I must say," Aemond said, "I am impressed that you are willing to go to such lengths to make them think you were treated like shit here in Winterfell."

"I told you, Uncle. I am loyal to Lyanna." 

"Hmmm," he grunted, "I will try not to enjoy this too much."

Jace looks at the wound. Aemond aimed for a less serious part of his body, to ensure he won't bleed out on the way here.

"I need to see my mother," Jace says to the soldiers, "Now!"

°°~~°°~~°°

"You should've just burnt that place down, Daemon!" Rhynaera say as she paces across the floor in front of her throne, "Those traitors shouldn't get the chance to see another day."

"Patience," Daemon say smugly, "Lord Tully will be dealt with in time. But our biggest problem is that witch from the North. Let me get her out of the picture first then the rest will follow."

She stops and looks him straight in the eye, "Your plan better work, Daemon. Because from where I stand, it looks like we are going to lose." 

The doors of the throne room burst open and they both look in that direction. The guards carry a tired Jace into the throne room. He is still clutching his stomach. His complexion is a lot paler than it was a few minutes ago. 

Rhynaera grabs Daemon for support when she sees her son. She thought he was dead. There were so many rumours, she didn't know what to believe. Many said they saw Vhagar eat Jace's dragon before Lyanna fed her son to her wolves. Some said that Jace was imprisoned, his dragon chained in the dragon pit they built in the North. Her heart broke again. Just like it did with Luke's death. She couldn't believe that she lost her firstborn, her sweet boy, the spitting image of his father. Many tears were shed and many plans were made during those episodes, plans to destroy Lyanna and Aemond. To finish them once and for all.

"Jace!" she yells out and runs to him. She pull him against her, feeling her shattered heart heal, the broken pieces being mended. 

"Mother," Jace says weakly, "I'm sorry that I abandoned you."

She shakes her head as the tears run down her cheeks, "You do not have to apologize,"

Rhynaera looks at the blood on his hand and quickly orders the men to take him to the maesters.

"We will talk when you are better," 

He might not be back without a scratch, but he came back to her. Now the North has no leverage that they can use against them. Now they can freely attack whomever they want to, without worrying about the casualties. 

°°~~°°~~°°

Jace opens his eyes slowly. His mind is foggy and everything around him is a blur. The last thing he can remember is the maesters giving him milk of the poppy for pain. How long he has been out, he doesn't know. But it doesn't matter, as long as his act is convincing. 

He feels someone touching his hand and his eyes dart in that direction. Rhynaera is smiling at him, stroking his hand.

"How are you feeling?" she asks.

He swallows and opens his dry lips to talk, "Water," he is able to get out.

Rhynaera quickly gives him the cup next to his bed and helps him to take a sip. She put his head back down gently and put the cup back on the nightstand. 

"I am so glad you are back home," she says and touches his cheek.

"How did you manage to escape?" Daemon appears behind Rhynaera and stands next to her, folding his arms.

Jace eye Daemon, he knows that it will be difficult to convince him. He never trusts anyone, not even someone that treated him like a father.

 "I nearly died," Jace answers, "Thanks to Aemond, who thought it fitting for me to die on my way here,"

Rhynaera can feel the anger building up inside her. So it was him.

"Lyanna came to talk to me in the chamber they used for my prison. She tried to convince me that I should bend the knee to her. I am her friend, I saved her life, she didn't want me to die. Aemond kept on telling her that I can't be trusted, that I must be killed and sent back to you as a message. When Lyanna saw that I can't turn my back on my family..." he push hard to get the tears to flow, "She told Aemond that he can do whatever must be done."

The first few tears spill over his eyelids and he looks down to make them believe he feels ashamed for crying.

"Don't cry, Jace. She is not worth it," his mother tries to calm him and takes his hand.

He pulls it from her grasp, "She was my friend, Mother! I loved her!" he starts sobbing, hardly believing how he is able to cry on command, "I was willing to marry her and raise Aemond's children as my own. And this is how she thanks me for everything!"

Rhynaera doesn't know what to say. For once she is at a loss for words. She has never seen Jace so heartbroken, not even when he heard about Luke's death. Was he truly so in love with her?

"Please," Jace says and wipes away the tears, "I just want to be left alone,"

Rhynaera nods and stands up, "Take all the time you need." 

They both leave him, closing the door behind them. 

Jace smiles and sighs. That should have been convincing enough. He will not let Lyanna down.