Chapter 7

Aemond's hands grip Lyanna's throne so tightly that they start to bleed.
The blood ooze through his fingers and run down the heavy wooden chair. The grip he has on the throne is nothing compared to his gaze that is locked on Jace, standing in front of him in the big hall. His shoulders are slumped as he tries to keep his eyes locked with Aemond's.

Aegon is standing to the side, watching the staredown between his brother and nephew. He is grateful to not be on the receiving end of Aemond's gaze. His eye catching movement at the entrance of the Great Hall and he sees Helaena coming in, walking towards him.

She pulls him closer, whispering bad news into his ear: Lyanna has not yet improved, the maester is having a hard time getting her fever down. It won't be smart to tell Aemond that just yet.

"I need you to repeat what you said." Aemond say through gritted teeth.
Jace doesn't look away, "I found her in the Eastern hallway, trying to get out of the Keep. I followed her blood trail until I found her. I was waiting for her, since she was joining us for dinner but when no one, not even my mother showed up, I started to worry and I went to look for her. I had a suspicion that Daemon was planning something since I overheard him talking to my mother about eliminating her."
"Why didn't you get her out of there when you overheard them discussing it?"
He looks away, "I was hoping that my mother wouldn't agree with his ideas and block him from doing it -" he closes his eyes, "But it is clear now that she never did."

Aemond lets go of the throne, the blood from his hands now painting the grey stone floor. He walks up to Jace, grabbing his collar and pulling him closer.
"I should kill you where you stand, Bastard!" he yells.
The muscles in Jace's jaw work overtime, "If it wasn't for me, Lyanna would be dead by now!"
"She shouldn't even be in this position at all. You could've prevented it!"

Aegon steps closer, ready to pull his brother back if things go south.
Jace also grabs Aemond's collar, "As much as you hate to admit it, but I care for Lyanna. The last thing I want is for her to be harmed."
Aemond's eye start to blaze, "Care for her you say?"

His tone is raspy with emotions as his other hand start to fidget with his dagger.
Jace swallow hard, "Yes,"
A sinister smile spread across Aemond's face, "I think it is best if you leave, before I kill you and send you back to your mother in pieces."

Jace steps away, "I can't go back. Daemon will kill me for helping her escape."
Aegon quickly step in when Aemond pulls out his dagger.
"Whoa! I think we should all take a break to clear our heads." Aegon say and grab Aemond's wrist.
Jace looks at the dagger, shining in the faint light coming in from the windows.
"I say we finish our conversation now." Aemond hiss and try to lunge at Jace again, but Aegon grab him around the waist to pull him back.

"I am sure Lyanna wouldn't want you to kill your guest in her hall." Aegon try to defuse the situation.
"My wife is not able to make decisions now, which gives me the power to do it for her."

Aegon roll his eyes at him, "I am sure our uncle thinks the same way with our beloved sister."
Aemond's eye grows wide with surprise at being compared with Daemon. His fist connect with Aegon's jaw with a sickening crack.
"Fuck!" Aegon groans and grab hold of his face, "What the fuck?"

Aemond flexes his fingers, "Don't you ever compare me to him again."
Helaena walks closer, "Now is not the time to fight with each other. Lyanna wouldn't want this."
"Stay out of this, Helaena." Aemond warns before turning back to Jace, "You have a choice. Either you leave or I kill you."

Jace flexes a shoulder, "I am not leaving until I know Lyanna will be fine. Until then I will stay put."
Aemond lunge at him again, but stop when the doors of the hall open and his mother come in, walking urgently towards him.

"What is going on?" she asks and look between Aemond and Aegon, "A person can hear the two of you bickering all the way to the Godswood."
Aemond sigh, "We are just trying to decide what to do with the serpent in our presence."
Alicent turn to Jace, "You will do nothing. He brought Lyanna back alive. You should thank him for that."

Jace tries to hide his smile, "I wish I could've done more."
Alicent motion Helaena closer, "I think you should take Jace to a guest bedroom." then she turns back to Jace, "It would be best if you are not in Aemond's sight at the moment. I will send someone to get you as soon as we have word on Lyanna's condition."
With a nod Helaena and Jace leave the Great Hall, leaving Aemond even more angry than he was.

"I do not trust him, Mother!" Aemond exclaims, "You just gave him enough time to gather intel on us to take back to Rhaenyra."
Alicent looks at him, "That is enough, Aemond. I will make sure that two guards are stationed at his door. He won't be able to wander through the castle."
"We need to send a message to Rhaenyra. They were willing to kill her, we should send her a stronger message by killing her oldest son."
"You will do no such thing. You already killed a son of hers, you do not want to kill another."

Aemond looks away at the mention of Luke's death. A mistake he will forever regret.
Alicent takes his hand, "You have a more important responsibility now. Your children are scared. They need their father to reasure them that their mother will be fine. Even if she dies, they need to think that they will see her soon."

Aemond swallow hard at the growing lump in his throat. He was so absorbed with Jace that he forgot about how his children must be feeling right now. He nods towards his mother before he leaves the hall, making his way to his children's room. It takes a lot to not go to where Lyanna is busy fighting for her life at the moment. If he sees her now he will get on Vhagar's back and burn down King's Landing, making sure his family burn in the process.

The soft sobs of the twins can be heard from outside their room. Aemond stop at the door, listening to how Elise tries to console them.
He push the door open slowly, the three inside looking up, seeing him enter. Elise get up from where she was siting on the floor, trying to not topple over in the process.

Aemond grabs her elbow to help steady her.
"Thank you, my Lord." she say and give a quick curtsy before leaving the room. Aemond's presence still intimidate her, even after all this time she has a hard time being in the same room as him.

The twins jump up and grab their father's legs.
"Will mommy be okay?" Rhaegar asks as tears slide down his cheek.
Talisa hold her arms up and Aemond pick her up quickly. He takes a seat close to the fireplace, helping Rhaegar to also get on his lap.
"Your mother will be fine." he brush Talisa's hair out of her face, looking into the same eyes as his wife. It makes it more difficult for him to hold his composure when his daughter looks so much like her mother.

He pulls them closer, letting them rest against his chest. Aemond start telling them stories about dragon's and Targaryen history until they fall asleep againts him.

He rest his head back against the chair, closing his eyes. With a heavy heart he sends up a silent prayer, to whomever is listening, that his wife will make it. If not for him, then for their children.