Chapter 9

The dunes of Dorne spread out like a red ocean, giving a tranquil feeling with the unmoving waves. In the far distance, the city of Sunspear slowly drifts closer: a green oasis in the middle of the barren environment.

"Have you ever been to Dorne?" Cregan asks over his shoulder to Aemond, trying to be as loud as possible over the roar of the wind in his ears.
Aemond nods, "I have."
There is a short pause.
"And?"
"It wasn't pleasant."

Aemond steers Vhagar down as they get closer to Sunspear. He is sure their visit will not be a welcomed sight. Not since they are bringing a dragon so close to their city.

He tries to land Vhagar as smoothly as possible, seeing guards running from the city gates towards them. But Vhagar does not understand the word and lands as hard as she can, bringing down a piece of the city wall with her.

Aemond sigh and shakes his head, as if they didn't attract enough attention already.
They climb off, taking a step back after they reach the ground to get away from the sharp spears pointing toward them.

Cregan gives a cocky smile, "Is this the welcome you give all your visitors?"
Aemond smacks him behind the head.
One of the soldiers drops his spear ever so slightly, "State your business!" he yells.
Aemond steps closer, "We are here to see your king, Qoren Martell."
"And who might you be?" he asks, his heavy accent more notable the more he speaks.

Aemond frowns and looks over his shoulder at Vhagar, unsure if he should be sarcastic.
But Cregan is quicker than him, "You are speaking to Aemond Targaryen, husband to my sister, Lyanna Stark, the Queen of the North. Currently she is unable to rule and Aemond rule in her stead." he says and step closer until the spear press against his chest, "So it is King Aemond to you."

Aemond bites the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling as he watches the guards drop their spears in confusion.
The one at the front nods, "Follow me."
The soldiers surround them as they enter the city.
"Don't look so smug," Aemond says, still hiding his smile.
Cregan laughs, "I couldn't resist."

They walk until they reach the palace, walking through a beautiful garden until they reach an area with a throne-like chair. The man sitting on top of the throne is surrounded by beautiful women. His eyes move between them.
He recognizes Aemond, there is no mistaking the one-eyed Targaryen.

"Prince Aem -" he starts.
"King," Cregan interrupts with a serious tone.
Qoren clears his throat, "King you say? Did you kill Rhaenyra and your brother then?"
Aemond only stares at him, not wanting to entertain him with an answer. But Cregan is new at this game, and nothing can stop the flood of words he has in store for him.

"He married my sister," he answers, "Lyanna Stark."
Qoren's eyes light up, "Lyanna Stark?" he then looks at Aemond, "So you are the one who married her. I received an invitation from her brother to discuss a possible marriage proposal. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the so-called discussions."
Qoren stands up, "What a pity. I think she would've made a wonderful wife."

Aemond only stares at him, but Cregan looks at the many women flocking around him.
"Are you a good fighter?" Cregan asks.
Qoren walks towards Cregan and comes to a stop in front of him, lifting his chin as he looks at the child before him. Even though he is still a young boy, he is already taller than most people around him.
"Why do you ask?"
Cregan frowns, "Because everyone who was invited to discuss my sister's marriage had to duel Aemond over her. If you are a good fighter and can beat Aemond in combat, you would've stood a chance."
Qoren only stares at him and without another word, he walks back to his throne.

"Why are you here?" he asks as he sits down.
Aemond folds his hands behind his back, "Lyanna has been poisoned by The Long Farewell. We are here to ask you for the antidote."
Qoren laughed, "What makes you think I have the antidote? And even if I do, why would I give it to the likes of you?"
Aemond's mouth turns down in a snarl, "Because we are willing to pay any price for it."

Qoren rubs his chin, "The antidote is worth more to me than gold and silver."
"If we leave without the antidote Lyanna will certainly die."
"That sounds like your problem," Qoren states and sighs, "But I can see you are desperate."

They wait for Qoren to say something first. The Dornish ruler decides what his best option will be.
"Just think about what an ally you will have if you help us. My sister will forever be grateful to you and will be at your disposal whenever you need help. She is a queen of a very big part of Westeros." Cregan adds and Aemond looks at him in surprise. This young boy listened to him during his lessons about diplomacy.

"I like you," Qoren says and stands up again, "I like how you think. Since you are the one who wants to speak about being allies..."
Aemond does not like where this is going. Cregan wants to talk like an adult but has no idea how these rulers only care for their gain.
"...How would you like to marry one of my daughters?" he asks and look towards Aemond, "Since your King rejected a proposal to one of them before."

"No," Aemond says and steps closer, "He will not marry anyone."
Qoren pulls up his shoulders, "Then the decision is easy. You can only get an antidote if he gets betrothed to my daughter."

Cregan put his hand on Aemond's shoulder, "I will marry your daughter to save my sister."
"You don't know what you are doing," Aemond says to him.
Cregan shakes his head, "It is something I am willing to do. Lyanna would do anything for me too."
Aemond can't even disagree with that, because he knows how selfless the Stark family can be, willing to sacrifice anything for their family.

"He will only marry her when he is older. The arrangements can be made with Lyanna, as soon as she wakes up." Aemond needs to ensure Lyanna at least gets to hear about this.

Qoren laughs, "I can agree to that." he waves a servant over and whispers something into his ear. They wait silently for the servant to return, only looking at each other.

The servant returns with a small vial with dark liquid in it. Qoren takes the vial.
"Make sure she drinks all of this. Not a single drop must be wasted." he hands over the antidote to Aemond, "I hope you make it back in time to save her. Sometimes the antidote isn't even enough, especially if the poison had enough time to destroy its host's body."

Aemond takes the vial and turns around to walk away.
"I will await word from the North about the betrothal. Do not make an enemy of Dorne."

Aemond hardly cares if he makes an enemy of Dorne or not. All he cares about now is to get this antidote to Lyanna as quickly as possible. Cregan can sense the urgency in Aemond's demeanor and pick up his pace to keep up with his brother-in-law.

Climbing on Vhagar's back, they both only have one thing on their minds: what if they don't make it back in time to save Lyanna?