Chapter 17

It didn't take Aemond long to get to Riverrun, the home of the Tully family. Of course, no one expected his visit, and was he greeted with hostility.

"Lord Tully is not expecting another visit from the Targaryens," one of the men informs him. Another? So Daemon was here himself. Of course, he wouldn't take Rhaenyra's approach by sending a letter. He likes to go in person to intimidate and torture until he gets what he wants.

"Tell him that I came from Winterfell on behalf of Queen Lyanna Stark. I am sure he would want to hear what she has to say, "
He won't be happy to hear that she has nothing to do with his visit, as long as his lie can get him to see the man.

The men look at each other before one goes back inside to give the message to their Lord.
Aemond keeps his gaze on the guard in front of him, trying to make him feel uncomfortable under his gaze.

The other guard returns, looking out of breath.
"Lord Tully said you may enter,"
Aemond smile as he watches the archers atop the wall drop their bows. Riverrun has always interested him. The way it is built in the middle of the two joined rivers is so well fortified against attacks with only one entrance. It is not a beautiful castle, although it is surrounded by beautiful surroundings.

As he walks into the castle he can't help but get a bad feeling about the place. If they decide to take him as a prisoner for Rhaenyra he will not go down without a fight.  But he doubts they will try anything with Vhagar waiting for him outside.

Then his mind trails to Lyanna who told him about Qoren's advances towards her. He should have gone there first to make sure he got the message from Lyanna after she burned down his castle. If he is still unsure what she meant by it then his fists would've done the job.

How he wish he could've seen how Lyanna burned a part of Sunspear to the ground. It would have made him the proudest husband in Westeros.

Aemond walks into the Hall where Lord Tullyis standing next to a big fireplace, his back towards Aemond. The guard who escorted him takes his leave.

"So you come on behalf of Lady Lyanna Stark?" the old man asks,  turning around slowly, "Or was it just a lie so you can see me in person?"
Aemond smiles, "You already know the answer to that, Lord Tully."
The old man  chuckles, "Very well, you have my attention."
Lord Grover Tully points toward two open chairs and they both take a seat.

"Please tell me you are not here to discuss the war between the North and the South." he starts and places his hands on his knees, his round belly preventing him from leaning forward.
Aemond nods his head, "That's exactly why I am here. During the Dance of Dragons, you eagerly told my mother and grandfather that you want to side with the Greens. That is why I assumed you would support the North now since the Greens became part of the Stark family."

He sighs and looks away, "You don't start with the easier stuff I see," Lord Tully stands up and walks a short distance to a table across the room. Aemond's gaze follows him as he moves. The stumpy old man returns to his seat with two cups in his hands. He gives one to Aemond before sitting down.
Aemond eyes the content, seeing the dark red liquid swirling around in the cup.

"We won't be able to finish this conversation without some wine," he says and takes a big gulp of the wine.
Aemond carefully takes a sip. If it is poisoned then a small amount will take longer to kill him.
"Did Daemon also get a cup of wine when he was here?"
Lord Tully laughs, "That man scares the hell out of me. I will not share my wine with someone I do not trust," he looks at Aemond who hasn't drunk another sip yet, "It is not poisoned,  I assure you. Here,"

He takes the cup from Aemond's hand, takes a sip, and gives it back.
Suddenly the old man starts to cough,  slamming his fists into his chest as he tries hard to breathe. Aemond jumps up to help him, not sure how he will do that.