Chapter 28

Aemond angrily throws his sword on the bed. Everything is going wrong. It has been two days since Lyanna went missing and he has searched for her, sending some of the soldiers to go to all the nearby towns and abandoned villages. She has to be somewhere. When he came back from the forest he gathered all the lords to discuss with them that Lyanna might have been kidnapped by Daemon. It angered them, sending them into a frenzy to go and find her. But then word came from Riverrun, that they have been besieged by Daemon and his men. Lord Tully is being held hostage in his own home, using him to control the armies of the Riverlands. 

Now they are busy planning their next move, not yet ready to leave Moat Cailin. Everyone hopes that they will find Lyanna before the fighting starts. Everyone wants their greenseer Queen to help them during the battle, especially when Daemon's dragon comes swooping over them, ready to burn them all to crisps. 

But every search turns up futile. The soldiers return one by one, all with nothing, not even an eyewitness who might have seen her. Aemond wants to send the wolves out to look for her, but he needs them to guard Alys Rivers. Her manipulative tongue can not be trusted and the wolves keep everyone away from her cage, ensuring that she will never escape. If he sends only Shadow he loses one of his strongest warriors, especially if the fighting starts while he is away. There is nothing like a dire wolf running through a group of soldiers and ripping them apart as he goes. 

"Aemond," Cregan says as he enters the tent, seeing a distraught Aemond hunched over on the bed, "I wanted to see how you are holding up, but I know how you must feel." 

Aemond sighs and looks up at Cregan, "I wish I knew where she was. If only I can go and look for her myself, but I can not leave this camp and our men alone. Vhagar is our best defence against Daemon."

Cregan fiddles with his sleeve, "I might have already asked Aegon to help us. I sent a raven to Winterfell yesterday,"

"You did what?" Aemond stands up and walks towards Cregan, "We need Aegon to stay in Winterfell to protect it, not come here and fight a battle. His dragon is not nearly strong enough to go up against Daemon."

Cregan shakes his head, "I didn't ask him to help us here, I asked if he can help look for Lyanna. A dragon in the sky is better than a horse on the ground."

Aemond is startled by his words, it is not at all a bad idea. With Aegon out searching, he can easily go back to Winterfell when he is needed. He should've thought of that. How much this boy in front of him has settled into his role as a possible future Warden of the North.

Aemond nods, "Good. Then we can focus on the war to come. Aegon better find her quickly."

Cregan smiles, "I know he will. I wrote in the letter that Maester Arwen should inform him of all Lyanna's enemies and go and search for her at their homes or castles. I doubt that it is Daemon who took her. He is now busy getting ready for war, keeping Lyanna hostage will only distract him."

Aemond smiles, "I hope you are ready to lead the men into battle if Lyanna is not back. Because I won't be able to do it on Vhagar's back."

Cregan nods enthusiastically, "I was born ready,"

°°~~°°~~°°

As the night falls over the camp, a sombre feeling sets over everyone. Fires are burning all around, with men sitting close to the flames to heat themselves up. A few more bannermen arrived during the day, pushing the number of soldiers to just above fifteen thousand men. Even if the rest of the bannermen don't arrive in time, they are still larger than any army the South could gather. 

A Northern spy reported that the army from the South are making their way towards them, led by Daemon and his dragon. If they march through the night then they will be here before nightfall tomorrow. Aemond knows that not all the bannermen will make it on time.

Everyone is trying to get their rest, knowing they might not get another chance. At some parts of the camp, the men started singing, trying the lift the mood. Everyone has now heard that Lyanna is missing and after they heard the news the morale in the camp dropped drastically and Aemond has no idea how to improve it. Even if he gives the best speech before the battle, it is not the same for them to hear it from a Targaryen as it is if it comes from a Stark. Which gave him an idea.

"Cregan," he says as he enters the boy's tent, finding it already dark and him snoring like a pig.

Aemond shakes him violently and Cregan jumps up and falls over the furs wrapped around his legs. His face hits the ground first.

With a groan he pushes himself up, rubbing his eyes to get his vision to focus.

"Aemond?" he asks, "Did Aegon find Lyanna?" 

Aemond shakes his head, "No, but I need you to do me a favour tomorrow." he pushes the boy backwards so he can sit on his bed, "Before the battle tomorrow, I need you to address the men. Just like Lyanna has always done it."

Even in the darkness, Aemond can see the boy's complexion turning as white as snow. 

"I don't know how to do that," he protests, "They will all laugh at me."

"I will help you, as long as the words come from your mouth, then the men will listen."

Cregan nods and swallows hard on his dry mouth. 

"I will try,"

Aemond leaves the tent without another word, taking a slow stroll through the camp. It is no use to try and sleep when your mind is busy thinking about everything, from Lyanna, wondering if she is alright, to the war and how the battle will turn out. He is positive that they will win, he knows they have more men, but Daemon can be very cunning, and that scares him. He doesn't want unnecessary lives to be lost due to them being taken off guard. 

Aemond greets the men as he passes them, earning him greets in return. Not all of the Northerners are as biased, judging him for being related to their enemy. Hasn't he proven to them on multiple occasions that they can trust him not to betray the North?

Before he returns to his tent, he makes a last visit to Alys Rivers. He will not be visiting her again until the fighting is over. By then they should have found Lyanna and it will be up to her what should be done to the River Witch. He already has an idea of what she will do.

Alys stands up when she sees Aemond approaching. The wolves around the cage lift their heads, making sure Aemond will not unlock the gate. The only person they will listen to now is Lyanna. So, Alys better get comfortable, because she might be here for a long time. 

"Prince Aemond," she says, "How nice to see you again."

"Hmmm," he grunts and frowns, "I was actually wondering since you are pregnant and I know the child is not mine," he looks up and into her eyes, "Whose is it then?"

Alys smiles and her hand trails over her belly, "Do you think I will agree to pull you and Lyanna apart for nothing?"

"Daemon's then," he says and nods, "Does he know? Or is it your way to ensure that he does what you want him to do?"

"He doesn't know, but after the war, I will tell him."

Aemond laughs, "You do realise that Daemon is a ruthless, bloodthirsty killer. Telling him you are going to have his baby will enrage him. He will kill you for it. You looked smarter than this, Alys. You sealed your fate the moment you decided you will make a deal with the devil because that devil has no soul and doesn't care for someone like you."

He turns his back on her ignoring the angry words that she is throwing at his back. It doesn't faze him anymore. He actually feels sorry for her, she must be very power-hungry if she made these choices. She knows she won't survive this, either Lyanna will kill her or Daemon will. 

Inside his tent, he takes out a piece of paper and a quill. There is someone that will appreciate the news he is about to give.

My dearest Sister

There is some news I think you will find very interesting.