Chapter 10

The weather changed quickly after they left Dorne. Dorne's warm sun burned into them, penetrating their clothes to reach the sensitive skin underneath. Beads of sweat decorated their foreheads and with the blinding light falling on them, the rays reflected off the watery beads that rolled down their faces.

The dunes were still burning red underneath them when the dark clouds over the horizon loomed closer. The white and black mixture of clouds rolled around, constantly moving with the wind, making it look like two separate entities fighting with each other. Now and again the flash of lightning illuminates the dark mass in front of them, making it look less monstrous.

"Hold on," Aemond says to Cregan, tightening his grip around his young companion. The wind starts to pick up, whipping across their faces. Even Vhagar groan due to the sudden change in the atmosphere. The cloud wall quickly approaches them and within seconds they fly head-first into it, feeling the first drops of rain.

The raindrops sting their faces as the wind pushes them in all directions, forcing them to fall quicker. Cregan looks down, trying to hide his face from the onslaught of water.
A flash of lightning lights the sky up around them.

Suddenly Aemond sees a different picture appear in front of his eyes.
Not the picture of the dark clouds or the lightning flashing all around them, but the face of Lyanna.
At first, he only sees glimpses of her, as if he can only see her if he blinks, losing sight of her as soon as his eye opens.

Another lightning bolt claps next to them, nearly hitting Vhagar's wing. She roars to inform her rider of her discomfort.

Another flash of Lyanna appears in his mind's eye. Aemond tries to focus on it, to hone in on it.

Aemond, he hears her voice, softly calling to him within the storm.

It's her. She is trying to communicate with him. This means she is still alive.

With a smile he closes his eye, ignoring the raging storm around them, even the danger of the lightning threatening to hit them is now forgotten.

Aemond, my love.

Once again he hears her voice, but with it, the picture of her starts to become more clear, more constant than the flashes he got.

She is standing in front of a bright light as if she is standing in front of a window and the sun is shining in from behind her. He can only make out the outline of her face. The light doesn't hurt his eye, instead, it feels warm and comforting. The light leaves a golden glow around her features, making her look surreal.

My love, she says, reaching her hand out towards him, knowing he won't be able to feel her touch.

If only he was able to do what Lyanna could do. He wants more than anything to feel her hands on him right now.

I need you, Aemond. I don't know how long I can hold on. My body is becoming too weak. Not even my mind is strong enough to keep myself alive.

Just hold on, he wants to tell her, but will she even be able to hear him?

I will try for as long as I am able, but you need to hurry.

She heard him. He can't let her down, not now.

Aemond forces Vhagar to shoot up into the sky, dodging lighting, and forcing her wings to work harder than they have ever worked before. Aemond can feel the beast straining against gravity.

A bolt of lightning strike inches form Aemond's face and Cregan yelp in surprise, throwing his hands over his head.

Still, Aemond pushes on, ignoring the stings of the raindrops on his face.