4. games

After a few minutes he let me go of his grip. "Who will take over the case?" Ash asked even though he probably knows it.

"The spotter I was with," I tell him and he signs "I hate that guy so much he's too boring" he groans to me and I chuckle at his unbothered comment.

"Do you know why I like you?" He asks me while my heart skips a beat. I shake my head no. After these months I still don't know why. He always looks like he enjoys the game. But I do too.

His annoying grin on his face was amusing to see and his stupid eyes were always looking at me like I'm no threat. I like the way he is simple yet so complicated.

Even with a gun to his face Ash would smile at me just to show he wins even in the afterlife.

He knows he will haunt me forever. Even when he is gone he knows that his face will follow me around and haunt me in my dreams. Forever.

"I like playing this game with you" he says and tilts his head sideways. "What game?" I ask him. "You're fun to mess with. I can see all your thoughts right here" he says coming closer to me and making a gun sign with his hands and putting it against my forehead.

I stay still and let it all happen. "You're fun" he says one more time letting his grin fade away from his face. He puts his hand back and lets it rest on the side of his body.

"I like this game too" I say not showing any emotions in my face. "Why don't we continue it?" Ash asks me and looks at me with wondering eyes.

"My boss would personally kill me if he finds out," I tell him. My boss made it loud and clear, if I go against him he will not be pleased with me. He might even kill me.

He promised he won't make it a long and slow death but fast and quick because of the honor I have given him.

"Mhmmm... I'll go to your boss and personally ask to have you back" he says like it's just a casual service we have. I scoff at him and he steps to the kitchen.

"Do you want water?" He asks me. "Only if it's poisoned" I tell him and follow him. I lean against the open door between the living room and the kitchen.

"I wouldn't poison it. It would be a boring death, " he says and i sign. If only he knew what i was doing to give him a rightful death.

"So you're not going to kill me now?" I ask and while looking around the room scanning for maybe something. Maybe something that i had missed. But there was nothing except a few newspapers with his face plastered on it and an empty coffew cup next to it.

"It would be a boring death, right?" He asks me like i am a child who wouldn't know the awsner. "It would be" i shrugged my shoulders. "But dead is dead" i wisper.

"What?" He asks me "mhm nothing" i say. I know that in his twisted mind that he would kill me off, i would convince him just enough. I know that he had done it before.

"Ash" i say, his name tasting in on my lips. "Yeah?" He asks and holds 2 cups of water. "I dont like you" i say outloud.

He shrufs his shoulders. "I figured that after everything" he says flashing a smile and quickly letting it fade.

He knows what he did. He knows why he did it. And so do i. I know why i dont have a sister right now, and I know why he won't apologize for it. I dont expect him to anyway.

"You killed her" i say, fumbling with my fingers. "Mhm" he says "i did" he says and smiles again while looking at me. I look the other way, not wanting to see him. To see the last person my sister saw before she took her last breath and felt the shock through her whole body.

My mouth is dry, and i feel uneasy. I want to leave this apartment but something is drawing me in.

My therapist that i got because my boss got too worried about me told me to face my fears. Maybe that's why i am here?

I look him straight into his eyes. His eyes are such a warm color, but they feel so cold. They say someones eyes are the portal to their soul - but his. His dont reach anything. He is soulless.

He walks towards me and hands me a cup. He walks towards the couch not afraid that i stand behind him. An easy kill.

But he knows that we both dont like easy kills.

I take a seat right next to him and try to leave as much distance between us. It's close but not too close.

"Why did you invite me in?" I ask taking a sip of the water. In some way i am showing him that i trust him. I trust him but not fully. I would trust my life on him but i wouldnt trust him to not fuck it up. I know what he is capable off. I know what i am capable of myself.

"I invited you because i was boree" he says not looking my way. He is staring in the distance to the tv that doesnt play anything.

"How did you know i wasnt on your case anymore?" I ask him and he laughs and then shrugging his shoudlers.

"Tell me" i say more harsh but trying to be calm. "A little birdie... mhm no" he says full of humor. "I went to a fortune teller who told me that this day was my lucky day" he says clicking his tounge to the roof of his mouth.

"Be serious with me" i say and he shakes his head. "You know i cant tell you" he says and shaking his head.

"I will tell you if you kiss me" he says and finally looks me in my eyes.

I feel my heart skip a beat and my eyes fill with shock. I dont want to give him any reaction but i cant help him. When he tells me these words i cant help but give him a reaction.

I know he thrives by my reactions. I can see it in his face. I can see his lip slightly turn into a sneaky smile while he tries to supress it.

I can see the slight flicker in his eyes and his pink cheeks flushing even more. He has a tendency of blushing even by small things that normal people wont react that fast too.

"You know i wont" i say and looking him straight into his eyes too. Its like a staring contest.

The air is heavy and the tension is to cut with a knife. Its harder to breath like he took it away.

He isnt the only one enjoying this type of Adrenaline. We both have a addiction to it. Sometimes he forgets it. But we both like the tension and the uncertainty of our lives.

"Well.... atleast i tried it" he says and looks at the black tv screen again. He takes a sip of his drink and i watch it go down his neck.

I take a deep breath trying to clear the thoughts that rush in my mind. The thoughts that shouldnt be there.

I bite my lip to fight the thoughts i am having and i am cursing at myself to even think about him in that way. In a way i should never see him or think about him...

He chuckles slightly and tries to supress them. "What?" I ask and look his way and he laughs even more but tries his best to not let a actual laugh escape.

"If only i could read your mind" he says my eyes widen again with shock. "You looking at me with such eyes makes me wish i could know everything thats going on inside that mind of yours" he says to me and i quickly remove my eyes of him.

He knows.

"Dont be so shy" he says and i shake my head. "We shouldnt talk" i say to him and he looks at me amused.

"If i talk to you I'll lose everything ive build up for myself and it will put you into more danger. This isnt a fucking game" i say snapping. "Okay" he says and he stands up and i mirror his action.

"We wont ever talk to eachother again" i say to him and he doesnt react to it. "Promise me" i say to him and i put my hand out with my pinky. "A pinky promise?" He asks squinting his eyebrows.

"Yes" i say even though its childish. "Fuck it" he says and takes the promise. "You know i am horrible at promises" he says and i squint my eyes at him.

"Goodbye" i say and i rush out of the door. I left him for what is hopefully the last time. Because i shouldnt have reacted to him like that. Never again i promise to myself.