5. reunion

I ran and ran my way back until my legs started to ache. I shouldnt have let myself go. I shouldve known.

I might be save now but still. Was it really worth it? If i wouldve blocked his number and ignored this all my mind wouldnt be such a mess right now.

My phone rang snapping me out of it. "Hey" the voice sounded. I remember the rough voice clearly in my mind. Someone who worked at the company with me when i first started.

I liked hearing his voice again and feeling the same homely feeling fload back. He was the only type of stability i had back then.

Sometimes when i need him he still supplies me with guns here and there but I mostly cut off the contact after everything got too much for me. He understood it all and left me alone parting ways.

It was never awkward when i asked if he had something for me. But i knew from the way his eyes had looked to me that he was worried. Still years later he hasnt asked me a single question about it. He lets the words play around on his lips never letting them escape.

"Hey Arthur" I reply back to him. And I can't help but have a small smile on my face. I have to admit that i sometimes miss him. He was like a old brother to me. Maybe its because he is 10 years older than me.

The age difference is a lot but we didn't really care. When I first joined he protected me from everyone else who tried to test out a 15-year-olds patience.

"Your boss called me" he says and my whole mood changes. "Oh" I say not wanting to talk anymore

"It's nothing bad he just wants you to go out and do something fun for once" his warm voice brings back the shiffers of happiness i used to have.

"We will do something fun?" I ask like a kid being allowed candy. God I missed him. He still is one of my favorite people. Even though we were so different i couldnt help but appreciate him.

Peopled used to mock us saying were like sunshine and a moon. Nobody talked to me at first. I didn't want talk to them anyway.

I thought they were all egotistical people who were just there for easy money. They talked about their kills like they were hunters talkimg about the deers they had found that day. I hated the pride and laziness that they were displaying.

I wasn't speaking for the first few months there and most people thought I was mute but he tried to have a convo with me and brought me food when someone threw away mine. He is one of the kindest guys in the wrong field.

He never killed anyone or even hurt someone. He didn't even scratch someone by accident. He was just there to make some money by selling guns to us and liked to stick around the people there.

He always used to drink a shit ton of beers and laughed bright and clear. I keep walking along the tree lined street and wstch the people pass me by.

"Are you home? I'll be there in 30 minutes if the trains are working" he says to me. "I'll make sure to be there" I say with a huge childlike smile on my face.

When I hang up the phone I imminently remember where I am and let my smile fall looking awkwardly at the other people around me. I clear my throat and fix the tie around my neck.

I go as fast as possible to my apartment even though it won't make him get here quicker. I arrive in 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes and feel exhausted from the half running half walking I did.

I clean up my apartment. And by clean up I mean storing the guns and knives back in places so it doesn't look like a psychopath lives here. And the scolding I would get from Arthur about a clean space and a clean mind would take hours upon hours.

It's already 5 pm and I'm not sure what he wants to do. I call him once again patiently waiting for him to pick up. "Yeah?" He asks me keeping his loud voice down so he won't bother the people on the train.

"Should I make dinner or are we eating out?" I ask him. "You can cook now?!" He asks surprised coated with a proud undertone. "Yeah.... I'll go get some groceries," I say and get my jacket.

I go to the small supermarket that's closest to my apartment. I pick up some ingredients and rush back. When I get back it had just been a few minutes. The time feels so slow when I want to do something.

I impatiently walk around the room and check my phone thousends of times hoping he texts me that he is there. I try to keep my mind busy but even my body cant stay still.

I decided to start cooking so my mind will go really insane. I put a pot of water on the stove and wait for it to come to a boil. The water feels like it's taking way too long but after a few more minutes, I finally hear the doorbell.

I quickly rush to the door almost falling over my own feet from the excitement. In my whole career i havent even done a stupid thing like that.

Arthurs's big smile greets me warmly when I open the door. I don't even check the hallways to see if someone is following him or if Arthur has anything dangerous on him. I just give him a big tight hug.

"Fuck I missed you" I say into his shoulder. He laughs at me and I let him go. "You could've visited," I say fumbling with the ends of my sleeves. "I thought you didn't want me to" he says and I bite my inner lip.

"Anyways... im glad you're here" I say and he flashes his teeth at me again. His ginger blond hair makes him look less dangerous than he is. He has a big brown beard and a beer stomach to go with it, he likes to say it makes the audition of being Santa at a mall easier.

He wears a checkered vest over his white plain t-shirt and blue pants with the most simple-looking pair of jeans I've ever seen.

When I was younger I used to think he was a lumberjack on the side before I knew what he did at the company.

He walks into my apartment and looks around. "You've grown up a lot" he says studying every part of the room. "I guess so" I say now feeling so aware of the years that have passed by in what feels like just a blink.

"You build yourself a reputation" he says studying my reaction. "They say you're the best out of the best" he says proudly and I smile at him. "It wasn't easy proving myself" I say and he nods his head in agreement.

"You're still the same kid to me" he says patting my shoulder and walking into the kitchen. "So tell me chef what are we eating?" He says and looks into the empty pot of water.

"Pasta" I say and he stares at me "Dry pasta?" He asks me just to be sure. "No...." I say fully planning on serving dry pasta and calling it a day.

I grab some random veggies and get a saus base that I have when I want to feel extra fancy. I cut them all up and Arthur talks to me about what he is up to lately.

He tells me about all the crazy stuff that happened when I had a short break and how it affected the company more than you would think.

After all the talking the pasta is finally done and I show it to Arthur and he looks slightly impressed or maybe it was just something I had in my mind.

"What will we do for fun?" I ask him and a grin appears on his face "We will go to a club or a bar" he says and I cringe at the amount of people in a small room and the lack of protection you have at those places. "Fine" I agree just because its him.