Chapter Thirteen

Opening up the gate, I walked down the row of headstones with a Daisy in hand. It was a nice breezy day with a few clouds in the sky.

I didn't come here often because it was on the complete opposite side of town...but once in a while, my aunt Kristy would take me.

The Arcadia graveyard.

I got down on my knees in front of one of the stones and fixed my stitch to sit up beside me. Placing the flower down against the smooth, polished stone, I read the words engraved for maybe the thousandth time.

Sam Bernard
November 17, 2006 - August 2, 2021

A loved son, and best friend.
"I was lucky to have met you Ghost."

His parents moved away after they heard about the incident. I'm the only one who ever visits now. You would think his own parents would visit him.

The sight of how he looked that day has haunted me ever since his face was almost unrecognizable and covered in burns. I remember I begged the doctors to let me see him and they were so hesitant.

Before the house was demolished, I got a hold of some of the items that had almost been untouched by the fire and kept them in a box.

Then one day when I was visiting the empty field I found one of his necklaces he used to wear. It now hangs by my window and every so often, reflects off the sun to create a rainbow on my wall.

"Hi," I said softly, imagining him next to me. "The spring dance is in a few weeks. I wish you were here so we could go and criticize everything." I laughed and held back tears.

"I don't think I'll be going this year again, even though I have two friends now. I'm dating Krel now. I think you'd love both of them, especially Aja. I'm planning on taking her for a walk later." I rubbed my eyes.

"It's been two years and I still cry about you. I hope you're listening when I talk to you at your old place... It's easier to go there than here." I chuckled.

"You never really said it back but I love you Ghost, and I know you did too. I'll see you later." I stood up and headed back to the parking lot where my aunt was waiting. I could feel the tears evaporating as I took a deep breath.

I opened the truck door and climbed into the passenger seat.

"You ready?"

I nodded and buckled my seatbelt before clipping stitch to it.

"Hey, I'm proud of you." She said.

"For what?"

"For moving on and still cherishing him. It's not an easy thing."

I chuckled, "Kristy-"

"It's true! Now put on some music, I need to pick up groceries before we head home."

After connecting my phone to the speakers, I put on upbeat music for the drive.

~~*~~*~~

Aja and I were finally having our quality girl time as we listened to music and walked through the town. The wind was nice and it was a bit more cloudy than this morning.