Blood of My Death: The Ancient Earthscrapper - Chapter Twenty-Three

Begin Memory Memory Series Sequence 482000152451983...

Memory Series Sequence Sub-001-0909.

A couple of hours had passed before we knew it. My astonishment was overpowering when I saw no one had come in to force us out. They let us have two hours to ourselves when we were supposed to be testing. We dressed in the locker room, changing into white shrubs that were two sizes too small, but we squeezed into them as usual. That is standard wear for us during testing. Outside in the corridor, the same team was waiting for us patiently. For a moment, I was worried we were in trouble. Then, a smile from the Doctor disarmed my tension. They led us to yet another elevator we'd never used before, and the same procedure took place again. 'If we want to escape. We're going to need one of those glass tablets. That seems to be the only way to operate these elevators and most doors.' That would have to be a priority. Maybe this would help us.

'Would he help us? He was being considerate.' The elevator stopped, letting us off onto another floor. There was no way to tell if we'd been here before. Then a thought popped into my head. 'What if each floor had a certain set of doctors and staff that worked with them? I know the others had been counting the time we spent in the elevator. If we could compare notes without being noticed, we could formulate an escape plan.'

Now that I think about it, this could work. Now, If I could find a subtle way to work it into our conversations, we would have a chance. We followed the Doctor down several corridors until we came to our destination. We didn't talk the entire time, and I was relieved they did not split us up. Today's test may not be as grueling as I thought, since we will do it together. So far, all our group tests have been relatively easy to complete. The paired testing was the most difficult to achieve and always wiped us out for days afterward.

A thin slice in the wall began at the center, extending to the ceiling and floor before opening into a medium-sized room. We followed the Doctor and his team inside. It was a round room with a raised platform in the middle of the room. On the platform was a recliner of sorts. However, it looked more like an operating chair than a recliner. On the opposite wall of the doorway, beyond the platform, were three rooms with all glass doors. There weren't any other doors in the room besides those three.

The Doctor turned to us.

"Test subject Kristonia Howel, Dr. Diana Iris, and Dr. Warren. Please proceed to the rooms in the back. There is clothing inside for you to change into once you are ready. Then, test subject Kristen Howel, one of my assistants, will take you to the platform, where they will place you in the testing chair. Once you are in position, I will explain today's test and its intended nature," the Doctor replied.

With a slim physique, the Doctor was handsome. His square shoulders and tall stature made him appear in good shape. A full beard and mustache covered the Doctor's square face. His hair was a dirty blonde slicked back in that old fashion style, and he wore blue metal-framed glasses. The Doctor was wearing a white dress shirt and black slacks. His attire did not differ from what most doctors usually wore.

"I never asked who you were?" Rachael questioned.

"Dr. Ridley Kent. I will oversee today's test," he replied.

"What kind of test is this going to be?" Kristen asked.

"Physical fitness," he replied.

"But what kind of physical test?' I asked again.

"Please proceed and choose a room. You will all have the same setup. There are headsets inside so you can listen to my guidance," Dr. Kent responded.

His assistants gestured us to head for the rooms, so we complied. There was no need to escalate the situation if we didn't have a reason. So, I walked to the middle room after Rachel and Diana went to their respective rooms.