Blood of My Death: The Ancient Earthscrapper - Chapter Twenty-Eight

Memory Series Sequence 351001002451983...

Memory Series Sequence Sub-002-0909 - Evasion doctrine is active.

The last physical therapy left me in pain in my legs and took a heavy toll on my body. After three days, I still had trouble moving, but my legs appeared fine. My legs weren't as swollen or bruised as I would expect. That test was insane, and I couldn't figure out its purpose. I would have expected to be bedridden for a month but seem in excellent condition.

It felt like its existents were to torture us on purpose. Nothing else made sense for a test like that. The last few days have been uneventful, and that was a welcomed change. These tests were out of control, and we were no closer to finding a way out. We still needed to map this place out even with us counting our steps and the time it took. Communicating what we each learned was difficult, and we had to be careful how we worded things when we talked to each other.

It had taken months to nail our plan down and the roles each of us would play. So far, Kristonia and I were keepers of the time we spent in the elevators and the time traveled to our destination. Diane and Rachel kept track of our steps to each destination. We sometimes had a few moments of privacy, and we took advantage of those moments. It wasn't easy, but we learned to note the turns we made in the corridors. I had this floor memorized down to every detail. In the mornings, I would arrange things in my room and the living room area in a certain way. We came back every night to ensure these were the same quarters. They'd tried to fool us several times already by moving us to a different apartment. We all did little things to keep track. The floor of our regular quarters was on, and the bathrooms had two elevators. On this floor, the other elevator leads to the floor with the toilet.

We went there in the morning and went from the second elevator to the bathroom floor to do our daily tests. We exited the first elevator on the floor with our rooms at night. It was the same all the time unless they tried to fool us. There were several floors we had been on too repeatedly. Although most of those floors we had exited from the same elevator. Our plan was a long-term mission to escape this hellhole. At this point, it was all we could do. An opportunity would come up, and we had to be ready. This place still needs a window, which is one of my concerns. 'Were we in some underground bunker and not a building?' I didn't have an answer to that question.

The telltale sound of the holographic projection clicking on, revealing our blue female holographic nuisance, popped up. 'Can't we even rest for a little longer?' I thought in disgust.

"It's time for another test," the blue female hologram announced.

"I thought we had the day off?" I questioned.

"Yes, you do! This is just a surprise test. It shouldn't take too long," the blue female hologram stated.

I could already hear the others stirring in the living area. Kristonia entered my room moments later, her face irritated. Over the last few weeks, she'd gotten more irritable. Not with me, Diane, or Rachel, but with that blue female hologram and the nurses. She had bags under her eyes too. I couldn't discuss my tests with her, and she couldn't discuss hers with me, which only made our lives more challenging. As sisters, we were used to talking about life's daily struggles. As identical twins, telling each other about our problems was even more critical. Our sibling bond was strong, but I knew the rules were in place to test that strong bond. Her tests were more mental tests than physical. It must have been taking a toll on her by now. While helping me into the wheelchair, she put on a brave face.

"Do you know what kind of test this will be?" I asked.

"No, but it's probably something stupid," Kristonia answered.

"Yeah, you're right. However, I can imagine it will have nothing to do with helping me," I added.

"I just want to go home," Kristonia whispered.

"You will go home after we complete the trials!" the blue female hologram chirped.

"Shut the fuck up!" Kristonia yelled, punching the wall behind the blue female hologram's face.

She kept hitting the wall, even though she couldn't touch the blue female hologram. There were splintering cracks in the concrete wall after every blow. 'I have never seen her get like this before.'

The blue female hologram only smiled at her as she hit the wall, making her more agitated. By now, Rachel and Diane had arrived to investigate.

"You're damn right; this pisses me off!" Kristonia yelled.

"Calm down, Kristonia!" Rachel said.

"I can't look at that thing anymore!" Kristonia screamed.

"I am merely here to aid you in your daily routine," the blue female hologram said.

She slammed her fist into the wall, leaving a gaping hole. It stunned us all when Kristonia inflicted such damage on a concrete wall. 'How could she have done that at all?' No blood, no scratches, just grayish dust from the wall on her fists. She turned around to face us as tears ran down her cheeks. A slight shimmer was in her eyes. As if they were glowing. It was only a little, but I could tell. That was how Racheal's eyes had been the first night we spent here.

Before I could say another word, several nurses entered our quarters, followed by Dr. Travis and Dr. King. An awful, sickening feeling came over me at the very sight of Dr. King, and he made my insides churn with disgust.