Blood of My Death: The Ancient Earthscrapper - Chapter Thirty-Three

There were so many turns that I lost count. I haven't smelled or heard the creatures in some time. The hologram was taking me somewhere, but I did not know where.

"These creatures... What were they? How long had they been down here? She called them pseudo vampires. Were DNA Labs creating them... or were they... test subjects too?"

This was a frightful notion. I thought about asking her about this issue. It seems like a matter for another time. I can ask when I get out of this place. Being down here was dangerous, and I wanted to escape as soon as I could. The crunching of metal caught me by surprise.

"Shit, the corridor is unstable,"

This was just what I needed. I couldn't see much, even with the glow of her light guiding me. But what her light did reveal was heavy damage to the concrete walls and structure. I could see metal rebar and columns through the cracked concrete with vast patches of rubble on the floor. Part of the floor had gaping holes leading to the level below. It looked like something incredible caused a serious amount of damage that went on for a good portion. Any part could collapse under my pressure.

"Careful up ahead. There is significant structural damage for several meters," the Core Mother said.

"Yeah, this is going to be fun," I whispered, moving with extra caution.

I stood at the edge of the collapsed floor as the Core Mother stood beside me. Her light barely lit up the level below and I could barely make out what was down there. It took a moment for my eyes to notice the slight movement below and I gasped. The entire floor below glistened and moved ever so slightly.

"Fuck, I don't want to know what's down there," I considered as I focused on the only way across the vast darkness below.

A jagged metal I-beam went off into the darkness over the wrecked concrete floor. I took a step forward on to the I-beam and the metal groaned under my weight. Taking extra care in placing my hands and feet barely made a difference. I had a doubt if it would hold up for long.

"Could I make a break for the other side? I might have too. That would be a lot of ground to cover," I crawled a few more feet.

As I crawled a little more, I felt it before it happened. My hand went straight through the corridor. The section was giving way and I tried bracing myself with my other hand and legs, but I couldn't get it to hold. The next thing I knew, I was falling.

I hit the ground with a loud thump, just missing the fragments of metal. Pain shot from every corner of my being. The fall was a long one, but none of my bones felt broken. Just a lot of pain and bruises. The stickiness of the floor was disgusting. A thick coat of flesh covered the floor in both directions as I surveyed my area. It was another corridor, larger than the one I had been in. Mother showed up again, lighting the way. The fleshy material covered the walls and floor and seemed to react to every step I took. She motioned for me to follow her, and I stumbled to my feet, pushing onwards. The foul scent the flesh gave off caused me to gag several times before I made it out of the flesh. I looked back and for a moment it seemed like the fleshy meat crawled towards me. I shivered at the thought.

"What if the fall had knocked me out? Would this shit be trying to crawl over my body?" I shuddered at the thought as I turned to follow the Core Mother.

Ahead was yet another maze of right or left turns. Someone could get lost down here and never find a way out. This place had to be massive. A familiar smell was growing ever more present. I knew I had to be on guard. Those creatures were here too.

"If I got caught out in the open,"

Up ahead, a flicker of light came into view. I noticed patches of flesh on the walls and floors the further I went.