Abel: Separate

Abel had been pacing back and forth in front of Madeleine's house for what felt like hours before finally mustering up the courage to knock on her door. It swung open to reveal her brother, Matthew, who looked less than thrilled to see him.

"I know I messed up, but I need to talk to her," he said, desperation creeping into his voice.

Matthew crossed his arms over his chest, eyeing him with a mix of disgust and pity. "I suggest that you leave right now. She doesn't even want to see us, much less the person who cheated on her."

Abel felt like he'd been punched in the gut. Of course, Madeleine wouldn't want to see him. He'd hurt her in the worst way possible, and now he was reaping the consequences of his actions.

"Can I get a chance to explain myself?" he pleaded, but before Matthew could respond, they heard a shout from inside the house.

"Mattie! The food is burning! The hell are you-"

The voice belonged to James, Madeleine's oldest brother, who was currently visiting from Canada. Abel's heart sank even further as James stormed towards the door, his face contorted in rage.

"You piece of shit. You sure have a lotta fucking nerve showing your rotten head around here!" James spat, his eyes burning with anger.

"Hey, wait! He was about to leave!" Matthew said, holding up his hands in a feeble attempt to calm him down.

Abel knew when he was beaten. He turned to leave, already feeling the weight of his mistake settling heavily on his shoulders. As he walked away, he couldn't help but think about how much he hated himself for what he'd done. All of this pain and heartbreak caused by one stupid mistake.

He knew he was a lightweight when it came to drinking, but out of pride and ego, he'd continued to drink until he couldn't even remember what had happened. And now, he was paying the price for his recklessness.

He didn't know who had exposed their secret, but when he found out, he'd make sure they regretted it.