Abel 5: Sweet Garden

Madeleine hopped off her bike and made her way to the Janssens residence, picnic basket in hand. As she approached the door, her nerves began to kick in. She knew that the family was grieving, and she didn't want to intrude, but she had to do something. She knocked on the door, and after a moment, Laura answered.

"Hi, Laura. I came to drop off some pastries and soup I made. I know you guys have been going through a tough time, and I wanted to do something to help."

Laura's eyes were red and puffy from crying, but she managed a weak smile.

"Thank you so much, Maddie. That's really sweet of you. Do you want to come in?"

Madeleine hesitated, unsure if she should intrude on their grief.

"I don't want to impose. I can leave it here and go if that's okay."

Laura shook her head. "No, please come in. You're always welcome here."

As they walked into the living room, Laura spoke again.

"Do you want to see him, Maddie?"

Madeleine hesitated before answering. "I don't know if it's a good idea since...you know."

"Please go see him. You might be able to snap him back to normal. He's in the garden."

Laura led Madeleine to their spacious backyard, which was like something out of a magazine. The pool sparkled in the sun, and the garden was lush and green. Madeleine followed Laura until they saw Abel, who was working in the garden.

"This is the worst that I've seen him. He wouldn't eat unless we reminded him to. He might open up to you a bit."

"I hope so too." Madeleine took a deep breath and approached Abel, who had his back turned to her.

"Good afternoon, Abel. I brought you something to eat. Luca told me that you haven't been eating properly so I whipped up something for you."

Abel didn't turn around, but Madeleine could feel the tension in his shoulders.

"Thank you, but I'm not hungry."

"It's chicken and dumplings. For dessert, I made those bunny-shaped butter cookies. Where do you want me to rest it?"

"In the kitchen, on your way out."

Madeleine flinched at Abel's dismissive tone. She knew she should have left the food and gone, but she couldn't help herself.

"Abel, I know we've had our issues, but I'm here for you if you need me. I know you're hurting, and I want to help if I can."

Abel finally turned to look at her, and his eyes were red and puffy from crying.

"I appreciate it, Maddie. I really do. But I don't think I'm ready to talk yet."

Madeleine nodded understandingly. "I get it. Just know that I'm here for you when you're ready."

"Thank you." Abel turned away again, and Madeleine knew it was time to go.

"See you in school." She waved sadly as she left the garden.