Chapter 10

Jupiter found herself standing at a crossroads, her decision to leave the late nights at the bar behind was fueled by a realization that it had been affecting her sleep and focus. She was well aware of the distractions it brought, acknowledging the need for a change. In that moment, she stood before the two individuals who had played an instrumental role in shaping her into an almost functional adult.

"Honey, don't worry. You'll thrive in the real world," Sofia reassured Jupiter, her voice filled with genuine care and support.

"And if anything ever happens, we would gladly welcome you back here at any time," Milo added, his warm smile offering Jupiter a sense of belonging and security.

Jupiter nodded gratefully, touched by their unwavering faith in her abilities. However, Milo interjected, reminding her, "But you'll still work today's shift, right? You know how Dwayne gets when you call in."

Jupiter chuckled softly, appreciating the reminder of the demanding boss they all had to deal with. "Yes, of course. I understand. I'll work today's shift," she affirmed, demonstrating her commitment to her responsibilities.

In that moment, a wave of nostalgia washed over Jupiter, taking her back to the time when she first landed the job. She vividly remembered the overwhelming excitement of having her own income, allowing her to escape the confines of the suburban environment she longed to leave behind.

Her alcoholic uncle Garry had played a significant role in connecting her with Milo and Sofia. She reminisced about the summer they spent together, camping outside his house, engaging in carefree adventures. But it wasn't without its challenges. Jupiter also had to shoulder the responsibility of taking care of her uncle when he succumbed to the grip of alcohol. Despite her parents' disapproval of Garry, they saw it as an opportunity to remove Jupiter from their home, fostering her growth outside of their troubled household.

Under Milo and Sofia's guidance, Jupiter flourished into a remarkable young woman, sculpted with love and care. Their role as surrogate parents became an invaluable gift, as they embraced her as their own. Their childless existence had inadvertently created a bond that went beyond familial ties.

Jupiter reflected on those cherished memories of her time with Garry, where they engaged in foolish escapades like scavenging leftover tiles from a neighbor's construction site, gleefully smashing them under a bridge. The nights were filled with warmth and joy, gathering around a crackling fire, roasting marshmallows, and dancing like carefree spirits.

However, the euphoria was cut short when Garry's drinking escalated the following summer. Alcohol consumed his once passionate mind, transforming it into a mere shadow of its former self. Jupiter began visiting him sporadically, cleaning the house and ensuring his well-being, but she could no longer stay overnight, witnessing the decline of someone she loved.

As Jupiter snapped back to reality, she found herself facing a rude customer at the bar, momentarily disrupting her thoughts. Ignoring his disrespectful comment, she maintained her professionalism and continued serving other customers, pouring drinks and keeping the atmosphere lively.

In the midst of her busy shift, the bar's entrance chimed, drawing her attention. A group of rowdy, intoxicated individuals stumbled in, their loud laughter filling the room. Jupiter's senses sharpened, wary of the potential trouble they could bring. Among them, a tall, menacing man with an aggressive glare locked eyes with her, sending an involuntary shiver down her spine.