Chapter 16

"Heyyy, it has been an eternity since our last encounter," Claudia exclaimed, embracing Billie as they entered the house. Behind them, Finneas trailed along, lugging a couple of grocery bags.

Placing the bags on the kitchen counter, Finneas joined Claudia and Billie on the couch. As they settled, Claudia inquired, "Where's Jupiter?"

"I believe she's either in a meeting or an interview. She mentioned she'd be here in a few hours," Billie replied.

...

The bearded man sipped his glass of water and inquired, "So, how did you become a writer?"

Jupiter, contemplating the question for a moment, replied, "I've always had a penchant for learning, even in various subjects. But writing and reading have been my passion. Whenever there was a writing assignment in school, I would be the first to finish it. It's safe to say I was a bit of a nerd." She chuckled at the last sentence.

"But you didn't pursue literature in university?" David asked.

"No, actually. I went to university on a scholarship for Computer Science," Jupiter explained.

"Ah, but you worked at a bar?" David inquired, perplexed by Jupiter's career choices.

Jupiter didn't have a straightforward answer to that question. The truth was simple: she enjoyed drinking. Although it may not be apparent at first glance, many nights during college when she worked at the bar, she was actually tipsy.

A brief silence filled the room, and the interviewer moved on. But, as on several previous occasions, the same question arose.

"You know Billie Eilish? How come?" the interviewer probed.

"We're friends," Jupiter replied simply, concealing her smirk.

Finally, the tiring interview came to an end after a few more questions. The interviewer hadn't been particularly friendly; he regarded Jupiter as if she were a mere piece of trash.

As she drove back, Jupiter decided to grab a cup of coffee. The line at Starbucks wasn't too long, so she swiftly ordered an iced coffee and a vegan donut for Billie. Downing the coffee quickly, she hopped back on her motorcycle and headed towards Billie's house.

...

The doorbell rang, and Billie swiftly extricated herself from the couple who were once again engaged in an argument about what to watch. Opening the door, Billie was greeted by the radiant face of Jupiter, immediately enveloping her in a long-awaited hug.

"I missed you so much, dude. Finneas and Claudia are fighting, and I'm hungry," Jupiter smiled at Billie. "Here, I got this for you," she handed Billie the donut she had bought.

"I love you so much right now," Billie declared, planting a quick peck on Jupiter's lips before hungrily devouring the donut. Jupiter responded with a playful remark, "Right now?"

"Always," Billie replied, chewing her food. She then asked, "How did whatever you were doing go?"

"Good, although the interviewer was truly annoying," Jupiter responded, removing her jacket and hanging it.

"Hey, Jupiter," Finneas greeted. "Which do you prefer, The Office or Parks and Recreation?"

Jupiter pondered for a moment, her gaze shifting between Billie and Finneas. "I like The Office, but I have a soft spot for Parks and Recreation because of Aubrey Plaza," she answered, eliciting a surprised reaction from Billie.