Chapter 03

Chris came to pick us up after school, making me wonder if Allison used her own car at all. I needed to ask her if I could borrow it to get to Isaac's, so I hoped it still worked. Maybe Chris was just being nice, since I was new here and all.

My theory was proven correct when I followed Allison upstairs to our rooms and she said, "sorry if my dad hanging around annoys you. He doesn't usually drive me to school, but because it was your first day I think he just wanted to do something nice."

I flashed her a smile. "It's no problem. Can I ask you a favour?"

Allison nodded, curiosity clear on her face. "Yeah, sure."

"Would I be able to borrow your car to drive to a friends house to study?" I asked hopefully.

Allison looked surprised "You got homework on the first day?"

"Mr Harris."

"That explains it," Allision shrugged. "I don't see why not. I'm not going to be using it tonight, so your welcome to."

I smiled in relief. "Thank you."

"No problem. Who is it your studying with?"

"Isaac Lahey," I said hesitantly, waiting for her reaction.

There was a brief flash of recognition on her face. "I think I've seen him around before. Haven't talked to him though."

"He's pretty cool," I said, hoping my voice didn't betray how nervous I felt about meeting him later.

Allison nodded, and we talked for a while more before going into our own rooms. I started packing a bag full of any textbooks we might need, a pencil case, laptop, paper to write on, and anything else I could think of.

I was a nervous bundle of energy as I waited for the time to pass, because I wanted to be friends with Isaac but was afraid I'd mess it up. I didn't like how anxious he was making me and stewed in silence about how a boy was making me feel like I'd just run a marathon until it was time for me to go.

I said goodbye to Allison and got her car keys before making my way to the garage. Chris and Victoria weren't there right now, though I couldn't remember where they said they'd be. I drove out of the garage and just left the driveway when I thought I saw something, or someone, on the roof of the house near Allison's window. I glanced back, but nothing was there, so I continued driving.

My nerves only increased as I drove closer and closer to Isaac's house. It was stupid, because we were just studying, yet my heart continued to hammer in my chest until I rolled into his driveway. I took one look at the house and nearly drove away, but I didn't want to cancel on Isaac last minute, and so with a strength I didn't know I possessed, I got out of my car and walked towards the front door.

Even so, I took me numerous deep breaths and silent pep talks before I managed to ring the doorbell. I waited in silence until Isaac opened the door, wearing the same thing he had worn at school, yet looking so different. It was something about being in their own environment and comfortable that changed how a person looked. His hair was messier, shirt untucked, and was only wearing socks, his shoes no doubt discarded somewhere in the house.

He looked gorgeous.

"Hey," he greeted, opening the door wider. "Come in."

I smiled at him and gratefully escaped the chilly air, feeling a shiver of satisfaction when the toasty warmth of the house enveloped me. Isaac led me to his room and I took a moment to look around. He had a double bed in the middle of the room with a window above it, looking out into the front yard. He had a bookshelf on the left wall with his closet next to it. On the wall next to the door he had a desk piled with books, paper, pencils, and other stationary items. There were a few posters here and there on the wall, some of them looking rather new like a lacrosse poster, and some that looked years old, like the marvel comic poster. All in all it was a nice room.