Chapter 26

I started living with Scott.

I'd explained everything to him, feeling petrified because he was all I had left, and if he turned me away I'd have no one. I explained Isaac, and Derek, and Allison's mum and my parents. I told him everything, laid everything bare, and waited to see if he'd still take me in, knowing everything that happened.

He did, thankfully. He wasn't upset with me and even comforted me about my parents. I was eternally grateful to him, and Stiles who accepted my presence with a quick hug and a grin. I wasn't alone, and the relief that came with knowing that was overwhelming.

Still, things were far from perfect. The Argents were my enemies. Derek and his pack were my enemies. The Kanima was my enemy. Everywhere I looked there were people I had to fight against, people who I once considered friends but were now my rivals.

I found myself reading my spell book more and more often. I was distracting myself from the mess that was my life, throwing myself into my magic practise, learning new spells and strengthening my abilities.

I couldn't sleep much anymore. I'd be lying in my bed, haunted by my parents, by what ifs and the life I could have had, if only Kate hadn't murdered my parents. I was haunted by Isaac. Haunted by my feelings for him that hadn't just disappeared no matter how much I wished they had. About how he never cared about me, and just used me to get into Derek's good graces. I was haunted by the dead look in Allison's eyes and the chokehold Gerard seemed to have on her.

So many things and problems, piled on top of one another and making it impossible to get a moments peace. I thought of Matt, who'd turned out to be the one controlling the Kanima, and his death. Drowning. After all that effort to get revenge on the people who had drowned him before, only to end up drowning again, this time for good.

I was brought out of my thoughts when a loud bang came from Scott's room. Startled, I closed the spell book in my lap and crept out of my room and over to his, opening the door only to wish I hadn't.

Gerard sat in the corner of the room, sitting comfortably as if he owned the place. Next to him, clinging to the ceiling, was the Kanima, its tail wrapped around Melissa McCall's throat. Scott stood tensed, claws out, near the other side of the room, eyes darting to his mother worriedly.

"Oh Y/n, perfect timing," Gerard greets warmly, as if I hadn't run away from his house after finding out his daughter murdered my parents. "Come in, come in."

Hesitantly, aware that Melissa could be killed at any second, I entered the room, taking up a position next to Scott.

"Let her go," was the first thing I said, and I was grateful to find my voice came out even. Seeing Gerard brought up a lot of emotions I'd been struggling to lock away, but I refused to let them overwhelm me in this moment.

"Can't do that," Gerard sighs regretfully. "But let her live? Well, that's up to the two of you."

Melissa's expression was one of pure fear, for herself or her son I wasn't sure.

"What do you want?" Scott demanded.

Gerard moved in the chair, finding a more comfortable position and letting us wait with bated breath for his answer.

"I want to talk," he eventually said. "Neither of you have been answering your phones."

Scott bared his teeth. "Let her go and then we can talk about whatever you want."

Gerard ignored Scott, getting out of the armchair. "I want the same thing I have always wanted. I want Derek and his pack."

To make his point, Gerard stood in front of the Kanima, forcing us to stare at Melissa as she clutched at the tail around her throat. Any tighter and it would restrict her airflow and strangle her.