Chapter 14

We entered the Coach's office, shutting the door and locking it just in case. My mind was reeling. Lydia hadn't reacted to the Kanima venom. Did that mean she was one? And if so, was Isaac really going to kill her?

I didn't know how to feel about it, or what to do, so I trailed after the others while dread churned in my gut.

"Derek's outside waiting for Lydia," Scott said.

Allison stared at Scott for a moment. "Waiting to kill her?"

"If he thinks she's the Kanima, then yes, especially after what happened at the pool."

"It's not her," Stiles said again, something he'd been repeating since we saw Lydia digest the Kanima venom.

I sighed, hating myself while I said, "she didn't pass the test, Stiles. Nothing happened."

Stiles shook his head adamantly, turning away from us as he started pacing. "No. No. It can't be her."

Allison looked up, blinking a few times as she tried to speak. "It doesn't matter, because Derek thinks it's her. So either we can convince him that he's wrong, or we've got to figure out a way to protect her."

I felt bad for Allison, watching as she fought tears. Lydia was her best friend, and though I'd only met her recently she was slowly becoming mine too. To see her in danger, to have to lock away her emotions and focus on a plan, supressing any feeling that could overwhelm her, well, it must have been difficult, to say the least.

"Well, I don't think he's gonna do anything here, not at school," Scott informed us.

Allison voiced all our thoughts. "What about after school?"

We all sighed, struggling to find any way we could help protect Lydia. We were facing unfortunate odds, and even with my magic, we couldn't figure out a way to protect Lydia that would last longer than my energy depletion.

"What if we can prove Derek is wrong?" I suggested half-heartedly.

Stiles shook his head. "By three o'clock?"

"There could be something in the bestiary," Allison tried, grappling at straws.

Stiles scoffed. "Oh, you mean the 900 page book written in archaic Latin? That none of us can read? Good luck with that."

Allison went silent for a moment, her brows furrowing as she though. "Actually, I think I know someone who might be able to translate it."

"I could talk to Derek," Scott offered reluctantly. "Try to convince him to give us a chance to prove that it's not her..." Scott trailed off, looking at the three of us. "But if anything happens, you guys let me handle it, okay?"

Allison raised her eyebrows, the two of us sharing a look. "And what is that supposed to mean?" she asked.

"It means you can't heal like I do," Scott insisted. "I just don't want you getting hurt."

Allison rolled her eyes and turned around to rummage through her backpack. The three of us sent each other questioning looks before peering over her shoulder, only to become audibly shocked when she pulled a crossbow out of it. A crossbow.

"I can protect myself," she said.

I gaped at her and the sleek black weapon in her hand. "How the fuck did you get a crossbow in school? Isn't it illegal to bring weapons into here?"

I was ignored as Scott looked down, his throat bobbing as he tried and failed to keep his emotions at bay.

Allison lowered her crossbow, placing it gently on the table. "What?" Scott looked up at her but didn't say anything. "Did something else happen?"