Chapter 21

I leaned against the broken train next to Isaac, watching in silence as Derek set a large box down in the middle of the floor. Isaac pushed himself off of the train, sauntering forwards to get a better look at the box. He traced his hand over the only decoration on the box, a symbol with three spirals.

"What is that?" he asked, crouching down.

I answered before Derek could. "It's a triskele."

I'd seen it in my spell book often, the symbol representation of both werewolves and witches. Derek looked at me curiously, waiting for me to go on.

"The spirals mean different things – past present future, mother father child, strength wisdom nurture."

The last one was what it means to witches. I'd read about a few times. Some witches followed that code as much as possible, relying on that when making decisions. Others barely thought about it and made their decisions on their own. It means something different to everyone, and I was yet to figure out what it meant to me.

"You know what it means to me?" Derek asked me.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the obvious question. "Alpha, Beta, Omega?"

Derek nodded shallowly. "That's right. It's a spiral. It reminds us that we can all rise to one and fall to another. Betas can become Alphas, but Alphas can also fall to Betas or even Omegas."

"Like Scott?" Isaac spoke, voice flat.

Derek glanced at Isaac. "Scott is with us."

"Really?" Isaac challenged. He looked around the room. "Then where is he now?"

"He's looking for Jackson," Derek said, opening the box. "Don't worry, he's not going to have it easy tonight either. None of us are. That's why Y/n is here, and since Y/n sided with Scott, there's the proof you seem to want that Scott is on our side. He wouldn't let us borrow his witch if he was against us."

I wrinkled my nose in distaste at Derek's wording but said nothing. It was true, technically, but I wasn't fond of being worded as if I were a possession, not a human being. I was here to help though, so I stayed quiet, remembering earlier this morning instead.

Using the spell last night had drained me, so much so that last night was one of the best sleeps I'd had in a long while. I was out the whole night, and when I woke up the next day, I was groggy, disorientated.

That could have also been due to the fact that there was a male's arm slung around my waist, the feeling comforting yet bizarre at the same time.

I tensed up at the feeling, momentarily panicked, before a rough laugh found its way to my ears, the arm pulling my closer to a wall of body behind me. I knew that laugh, or at least I knew it when it wasn't in his morning voice.

I rolled around, turning face to face with Isaac Lahey, the boy grinning wolfishly at me. I smiled back, before glancing around at my room.

"What are you doing here?"

He raised his eyebrows at me. "You asked me to stay."

"And you did?"

Isaac gave me an incredulous look. "'Course."

Something warm bloomed in my chest and I smiled at Isaac, feeling content to just stay there with him forever. It took me a minute to realise why I felt like this, but when I did it was all I could think about.

Trust.

I trusted him.

I hid my face in Isaac's chest, hiding my smile as I tried to smother the giddiness I felt. I wasn't a naturally trusting person- not after growing up with Kate- but I trusted Isaac. It felt relieving, to be able to trust someone. It was scary, yes, but the fact that I did trust him made me feel safe, because I had someone I could rely on. Someone I knew wouldn't do me wrong.