Chapter 09

It was the dreaded gym class. A rock climbing wall had been placed in the middle of the room and we all crowded around it, two black mats on the floor as people connected themselves to the harnesses.

It was the day after the full moon, and I had been quick to realise that Isaac and Scott weren't on the same side. Apparently Derek was turning more people into werewolves because he needed a pack, and Scott didn't agree with that, because he was putting teenagers at risk of werewolf hunters.

I also realised that my morals aligned with Scott, which was slightly concerning since I'd thought I was siding with the hunters. Now I wasn't so sure, especially since Isaac had become a werewolf. I didn't want to fight him.

I was also informed and updated on the Allison and Scott drama, their history together and how they now have to date in secret because Chris threatened to kill Scott if Allison ever talked to him again. Talk about complicated.

I watched in amusement as Allison and Scott raced each other climbing the wall, bickering with one another throughout it. At one point, Scott got distracted and Allison kicked his foot, sending him careening backwards and falling to the floor, the harness keeping him in the air at the last possible second.

The crowd laughed, and Allison let a small, satisfied smirk curve along her face before she, much more gracefully than Scott, descended the wall.

"Okay, next two," Coach yelled. "Stilinski, Erica, let's go!"

Erica looked up at the wall with undisguised fear, shuffling forward as someone attached the harness to her. I watched worriedly, half paying attention to Lydia, who had decided we were friends now, talk about the new dress she got.

Stiles was racing ahead as Erica struggled on the first few rocks, her deep breaths loud enough that I could hear it from the ground. I cast her a nervous glance but didn't say anything, waiting for her to go higher.

She didn't though. Instead she just stayed where she was, even after Stiles finished, shaking slightly from exertion and fear. I started forward and Stiles looked at me strange, before following my gaze and finding Erica sobbing as she clung to the wall.

Soon others in the crowd noticed and then everyone was surrounding her as Coach pushed his way to the front of the group.

"Erica," he yelled. "Dizzy? Is it vertigo?"

Lydia scrunched up her face incredulously. "Vertigo is a disfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear. She's just freaking out."

Everyone looked up at Erica, watching as she gripped the wall tightly. She sobbed an "I'm fine" but it wasn't convincing, and my anxiety was increasing with every passing second watching her.

"Coach, maybe it's not safe," I said. "She's epileptic."

Coach looked at me in bafflement. "What? Why doesn't anyone tell me this stuff?" he looked up at Erica. "Erica, you're fine. Just kick off from the wall. There's a mat to catch you."

I winced. A mat to catch you didn't sound very reassuring. Nevertheless after a few tense seconds of silence, Erica slowly started to lean back, her body trembling as she let go of the rock and slowly made her decent back to the ground.

"See, you're fine. It's okay," Coach assured her. "Shake it off. You're fine."

Erica glanced around uneasily as the people around her started laughing. She ducked her head down and walked away, pushing through the crowd of people to make her escape. I followed her, sending everybody who laughed dirty looks as I not so gently shoved them out of my way.

"You okay?" I asked her when we both exited the gym.

Erica whirled around to face me, startled. "Why do you care?"