Chapter 10

My confidence in magic had grown over the past day. I knew how to do more spells, and I knew more things about the war. With my knowledge on magic growing, I knew the time to pick a side to fight on was arriving.

I'd just arrived at school when I spotted Erica having an intense conversation with Scott. They hadn't seemed to notice me yet, so I quickly hid behind a corner and cast a spell that let me listen in to their conversation from afar.

"Two's not enough for Derek," Scott said. "I know he needs at least three. So who's next?"

Erica scoffed, shutting her locker door before turning around to face Scott, taking a few slow steps forward. "Why does there have to be a next when we've already got you?"

Scott ignored Erica. "Who's next?"

Erica took a moment to observe Scott, her eyes trailing the length of his body before she cast him a sweet smile. "You know, I never knew what I looked like when I had a seizure until someone took a video of me once and put it online."

Scott shook his head, exasperated. "I don't care."

"It happened during class," she continued. "I started seizing on my desk and everyone was saying how they should put something in my mouth until some genius reads the card on my keyring which tells him not because it could break my teeth."

Scott sighed. "Erica."

"Do you know what happened next? I piss myself, and they start laughing," Erica said, taking another few steps towards Scott. This time he backed up, which only made Erica move closer. "The only good thing about seizures is that I never remembered then until some brilliant jerkoff-" she yelled the last part, shoving Scott into the lockers. "-had to go and put cameras in everyone's phone."

I wasn't feeling very sorry for Erica anymore as I stared at her. She had transformed into a stereotypical mean girl, the rush of beauty going to her head. I watched in silence as she placed both her hands on either side of Scott's head, caging him.

"But look at me now Scott," she said.

Scott ignored her, his eyes darting to something on his left. Erica noticed the glance and looked to find Allison at the end of the other hallway, watching the situation with her books clutched tightly against her chest.

"That's right, you only have eyes for her," Erica taunted.

Scott grabbed her wrists and shoved her back, staring at her blankly. He didn't even deign to say anything before he brushed past her, walking in the direction Allison had been. Erica looked pissed for a moment, before her eyes landed on me and a smirk appeared.

She walked up to me and I rolled my eyes, preparing myself for another one of her dramatic stories like she'd told Scott.

"Want to be my friend now, do you?" Erica asked, spite rolling off her in waves.

I crossed my arms. "I wanted to be your friend before you got bit. Not so much anymore." I looked her up and down to prove my point.

Erica's face soured. "And why is that?"

"Because you're being a bitch to my friends."

I walked away, hoping she wouldn't follow because I was still largely intimated by her despite my words. She didn't though, and I managed to make it to lunch unscathed.

I found Allison on an empty table, subtly talking to Scott who was sitting behind her facing the other way on a different empty table. I raised my eyebrows but said nothing as I took a seat next to Allison and caught up with the conversation.

"Don't you see what's happening? My grandfather coming here, Derek turning Erica and Isaac, it's like battle lines are being drawn."

"That's because they are," I muttered without thinking.