Chapter 27

I was in the stands, watching as the Beacon Hills Lacrosse Team entered the field, getting into their positions. I frowned when I didn't notice Scott, eyes scanning the field before I eventually found him sitting on the bench, out of the game.

What?

Confused, I left my seat in the stands and made my way to the bench, positioning myself in between Scott and Stiles who had seemed to leave a space for me without even meaning to. I tried not to smile at the thought.

"Why are you on the bench?" I asked him.

Scott rubbed his eyes tiredly. "I'm failing three classes."

"But you need to play."

Scott groaned. "I know!"

There was a nervous silence, all of us thinking about the game about to start and what it meant now that Scott wasn't on the field.

"Is your dad coming?" Scott asked Stiles.

Stiles nodded. "Yeah, he's already here."

"You seen Allison?" the young werewolf asked.

Stiles shook his head. "No. Have you seen Lydia?"

"Not yet," Scott answered.

I rolled my eyes at the boys, but my amusement was short lived. What was going to happen with the game now that Scott couldn't play? Who was going to get hurt, or worse?

"It's gonna be bad, isn't it?" I asked quietly, staring at the field where the players had gotton into a circle, coming up with a gameplan.

"Like people screaming running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind of bad?" Stiles added, because for some reason describing the events tonight might hold seemed like a good idea to him.

Scott sighed. "Looks like it."

"We're losing guys," Stiles murmured, looking at the two of us with sombre expression.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Coach's voice rang out from beside me. I nearly jumped, turning to find the teacher squatting behind us on the stands. "The game hasn't even started. Now put your helmet on and get out there, you're in for Greenburg."

Stiles' eyes widened. "What? What happened to Greenburg?"

He looked around, panicked at the idea of playing on the field.

"He sucks, you suck... slightly less," Coach explained.

Stiles turned to me. "I'm playing? On the field? With the team?"

I couldn't help but grin at him. "It seems so."

"Get the hell out there!" Coach yelled, and I winced, covering my ears. Boy was I glad I wasn't on the lacrosse team.

Stiles gave us one more panicked look before following Coach onto the field, scrambling to get his helmet on with one hand and put his gloves on with the other. I smiled at his antics, feeling a small semblance of calmness inside me. Not much, but it helped me think more clearly.

Except then Scott froze up, tensing as he stared at something in the distance. I followed his gaze and found Gerard, standing on the sidelines. I cringed, knowing he must be saying something to Scott and wishing he wasn't. I didn't want anything bad to happen, and I certainly didn't want Scott or Stiles to risk their life in order to save all these people.

Scott noticed my gaze and sighed, murmuring quietly, "Gerard's threatening to kill people if we don't give him Derek by the end of the game."

I recoiled, feeling dread in the pit of my stomach. How were we supposed to get Derek to him by the end of the game? We didn't even know where he was. Plus, that gave off betrayal vibes, and I was not about to go as low as Derek, though I admit I wouldn't mind seeing him dead.