Chapter 31

We arrived at an abandoned warehouse, the place Derek told us to meet, and exited the car. The building was old and decrepit, paint peeling off the walls and who knew what splattered on the floors. We all followed Chris as he opened the boot, the body bag lying limply in the back.

"I think he's stopped moving," Isaac said.

I grimaced. "Is that a good thing?"

None answered because no one knew. Chris looked around, eyes searching the grounds. "Where's Derek?"

Speak of the Devil, I thought as Derek appeared, literally out of nowhere, to stand in front of Chris with glowing red eyes.

"I'm here for Jackson, not you," Chris said as a way of greeting.

Derek observed him cooly. "Somehow I don't find that very comforting."

They stared at each other though and seemed to come to a silent understanding. I just hoped it meant they wouldn't be at each other's throats, because we had enough to worry about as it was.

Derek looked at the boot. "Get him inside."

We did as he asked, Chris getting back into the front and driving the car inside the warehouse so it would be less work for Isaac and Scott to get Jackson inside. For people with superhuman strength they certainly complained, a lot.

They rolled Jackson out of the boot and dragged him in the middle of the room, all of us surrounding the body bag.

"Where are they?" Scott asked.

Derek glanced around. "Who?"

"Peter and Lydia," Scott snapped.

Derek stared at Scott for a moment, an unreadable expression on his face, before starting to unzip the body bag, ignoring Scott's question.

"Wait, hold on a second," Scott said, panicked. He looked at Isaac and I for help.

"You said you knew how to save him," I challenged.

Derek risked me a glance as he opened up the body bag. "We're passed that."

Scott stepped forward. "What about-"

"Think about it Scott," Derek snapped, interrupting him. "Gerard controls him now. He's turned Jackson into his own personal guard dog, and he's set this all in motion so that Jackson could get even bigger and more powerful."

"No," Chris said. Derek's head turned to him. "No, he wouldn't do that. If Jackson's a dog he's turning rabid. And my father wouldn't let a rabid dog live."

"Of course not."

Everyone turned around to find Gerard standing at the entrance to the warehouse, a knowing smirk on his face. I felt a surge of anger wash through me at the sight of him, my magic spiking. I had to struggle to keep it under control as I stared at him.

"Anything that dangerous, that out of control is better off dead," Gerard finished.

Derek, seeing his time had run out, brought his arm down to slash open Jackson's chest, only for Jackson's arm to reach out and stop him, grabbing Derek's wrist in an iron grip, his other hand coming out to stab Derek in the chest with his claws.

Isaac shoved me behind him as the Kanima threw Derek across the room, the werewolf skidding to a stop against the wall and staying there.

"Well done to the last Scott," Gerard said, as if Derek hadn't just potentially been murdered. "Like the concerned friend you are, you brought Jackson to Derek to save him. You just didn't realise you were also bringing Derek to me.