Chapter 19

I sat in a chair in the vets waiting area with Scott, the both of us waiting for Derek to arrive. It was dark out, so much so that you couldn't see three feet in front of the door. Scott stood up, no doubt sensing Derek and walked towards the door with me trailing behind him.

"What's he doing here?" were the first words Scott spoke when he opened the door, spying Isaac with his hands in his pockets standing behind Derek.

"I need him," Derek answered shortly. His eyes found mine. "What's she doing here?"

Scott gritted his teeth. "I need her." He scowled at Isaac as they entered the shop. "I don't trust him."

Isaac sauntered in, his eyes snagging on me as he passed, hand brushing mine. "Yeah well he doesn't really trust you either."

"Derek doesn't really care," Derek said.

I snorted. "And Y/n is finding all of this very entertaining."

All three werewolves threw me a glare and I flashed them all a charming grin.

"Where's this vet?" Derek demanded. "Is he going to help us or not?"

A voice came from the doorway of the back room where, as I turned around, Deaton stood, leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed. "That depends." Deaton was around 5 7' with dark skin, bald head, and a dark goatee. I'd met him earlier when we were waiting for Derek, and he had been particularly interested in my being a witch, giving me some tips on how to save my energy while performing spells. I didn't know where he'd learnt them from, but they sounded useful so I'd filed them away for later.

"Your friend Jackson," Deaton continued. "Are we planning to kill him or save him?"

In unison Derek and Scott answered, though their answers were quite different.

"Kill him."

"Save him."

Scott shot Derek a reprimanding look as he repeated, "save him," and Derek stared at Scott before rolling his eyes in defeat turning to Deaton as if to say 'I'd love to kill him but this idiot here thinks we should save the good for nothing little shit'. Or maybe that was just what I was thinking. It was hard to tell.

I looked to Isaac, amused, and we shared a look, silently laughing at our pack leaders going head-to-head. Deaton nodded and beckoned us to follow him as he led us to the back room where there was a steel table. We all stood around it as Deaton put a tray down, filled with different sort of herbs and powders in glass jars.

Isaac took the spot beside me, casually putting an arm around my waist as he observed the tray with curiosity. I hid my smile, the feeling of his arm around me sending my stomach into a frenzy, only to start silently panicking at what this meant. He'd done it without so much as a word, meaning this was just something we would usually do, but where did that put us relationship wise? What was going on between us?

I scowled at the thoughts, knowing it wasn't the time to be thinking about it, and pushed them to the side, focusing on the present.

With Isaac's other hand he reached out to pick up one of the jars but Derek stopped him, grabbing his hand like an adult babysitting a toddler.

"Watch what you touch," he warned, dropping Isaac's hand.

I didn't even try to hide my smile this time and Isaac rolled his eyes when he saw my expression, giving me a little nudge.

I watched as Deaton searched for a jar and, when he eventually found it, picked it up, the container filled with a greyish black dust.

"So, what are you, some kind of witch?" Isaac questioned, leaning forward slightly.