Chapter 05

I spent all of Saturday alone in my room reading the book, gathering every piece of information I could. I learnt the history of previous wars between hunters and werewolves, and about the previous witches that had held this book. Apparently, after each witch dies, their story gets added to the book, and it reveals itself to the next witch when the time is right.

I learnt about the witch before me, who had been slaughtered in a gruesome fight when she refused to pick a side. I learnt about the first witch, whose daughter was going to be the next witch, so she created this book to teach her everything she knew when she died, because there could only be one witch at a time.

I learnt about the first witch's daughter, said to be the most powerful witch known. I read about her story, of how she had met a werewolf and fallen in love with her, only to realise she'd been manipulating her all along to fight with the werewolves. The witch, drowning in her pain and sorrow, had taken her revenge and wiped out more than half of the werewolves' population as a whole, as well as herself. The book warned me that witches were vengeful creatures, and that if you wronged one they would stop at nothing to get their revenge.

It gave me the creeps.

I read about how it was vital for me to stay hidden until the time was right, because both werewolves and hunters would try to sway me to their side, and I needed to be confident enough in my magic to defend myself if anything went sideways. It made me feel queasy, because I wasn't naturally a decisive person and the idea of choosing a side to win a war was dizzying.

I'd also focused on actually using magic. I'd lit the candles in my room at least a hundred times, the burnt blanket hidden under my bed that had accidently caught fire proof of it. I also knew how to extinguish the flames with my magic, as absurd as it sounded. Using magic, actual magic, to blow out candles. It was crazy.

I wanted to spend all of Sunday reading as well, but Isaac had texted me asking if I wanted to study, because the school had an open library on Sunday, and I couldn't resist seeing him again. I'd agreed and shoved my book back into the bottom of my cupboard before getting ready to see him, feeling excited.

I borrowed Allison's car and met Isaac at the school. He was looking dashing as always, and flashed me a smile that made me knees weak. We went to the library and took out some books before working on our project. We worked better than we had at Isaac's house, mainly because the library wasn't a place you could laugh out loud or mess about in.

I couldn't concentrate though, my mind still on the book and witches and werewolves. Were werewolves real? I didn't think I'd encountered one before, but for all I knew a werewolf could be in this room right now. How was I supposed to tell who the werewolves were and who the hunters were?

"You okay?" Isaac asked me after a while of studying, noticing my lack of concentration.

I smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, sorry, I'm just finding it hard to focus."

Silence descended on us, and I looked back to my book, trying to get the thoughts of witches out of my mind, when Isaac spoke.

"Do you want to leave and just hang out?"

I looked up, surprised. "What?"

Isaac rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Well, I mean, you don't seem to be doing a lot of work, not that I'm upset with you about that or anything, and I don't really want to study much either, but I do want to hang out with you, so we could leave here and just hang out somewhere else."

I smiled. "That would actually be really good."

We both packed up and left the school, talking.

"So, where do you want to go?" Isaac asked me.