Chapter 28

I ran down the hallway, feeling my chest constrict with each step I took closer to the boys locker room, dreading what I would find. What if I was too late? What if they'd already finished Isaac off, and I'd arrive to nothing more than limp body?

I skidded to a halt and shoved my shoulder into the door, making it swing wide and slam against the wall loudly. Immediately I was on alert, hands out, spells at the ready, body in the defensive position Kate had taught me, only to find the locker room in a state of calm.

It was nearly empty except for Isaac who was sitting on a bench, eyes wide and face pale as he stared at me. No one else was there. No danger, no hunters. No death.

"Y/n?" Isaac asked. He sounded surprised. "What are you doing here?"

I swallowed, glancing around again, but no one was there. "I had a vision you were in trouble. It must have been fake though."

Isaac frowned from where he sat, half paralyzed on the bench. I idly wondered what he'd be doing if he could move. "Can you get fake visions?"

I shrugged. "Nothing here is there?"

I started to leave, turning around and wishing I had never entered when Isaac called to me.

"Y/n wait, please."

I hated that my body listened, rooting to the spot as I slowly turned to face Isaac.

"Can we talk?"

I looked at the floor beneath me. "What is there to talk about?"

Isaac sighed. "Come on Y/n. Please."

Reluctantly I looked up at him. "Fine. You betrayed me. While I was falling for you and thinking you felt the same way about me you were using me for Derek and just following orders."

Isaac looked taken aback at my sudden harshness but got over it quickly. "I'm sorry Y/n. I didn't mean for this to happen."

I scoffed. "For what, for me to find out?"

"For you to believe this lie!"

I snarled. "I know it's true. Don't try to lie to me Isaac. All that shit you talked about being just the two of us but you were just doing what Derek asked."

"I'm not trying to lie. Yes, Derek told me to get close to you, but that's not why I did it. If anything it was an excuse I used to hide behind while I pretended I didn't have these feelings for you Y/n. I care about you. I've always cared about you. I meant it when I said I wanted to be just us. I still do."

I was quiet after Isaac's words. I didn't know what to think. I really liked Isaac. I cared for him deeply, but the hurt of what Isaac did was still fresh. He, whether he'd meant to or not, had betrayed me, lying to me about why he was there. Even if he enjoyed it and wanted to be there, the reason he was there in the first place was because of Derek.

Could I live with that? Knowing that our relationship started because of what Derek wanted, not what we wanted? Could I continue the relationship knowing Derek had another hand messing up my life, carelessly meddling with my feelings?

"Y/n, talk to me, please."

I opened my mouth but paused, unsure what to say. "I get what you're saying. But it doesn't change the fact you were there on Derek's orders. That our relationship, even if it felt real to the both of us, had started off fake-"

"-it was never fake-"

"-and that you broke my trust. I trusted you, Isaac. Do you know how rare that is? I've only trusted one person before you, and she ripped that trust to shreds. I hoped you'd be different."