Chapter 06

It was the funeral today, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I was trying to keep an open mind, trying to make myself feel some sort of remorse or grief, but nothing came up. I had no love for Kate, and her funeral didn't faze me as much as I thought it should. I mean, she raised me for god's sake, yet here I was not feeling a single negative thing about her funeral happening later today.

Chris and Victoria had both asked me if I was feeling alright when I'd come down from my room and I'd smiled and nodded, because in all honesty I was feeling okay. I wasn't fretting or consumed with grief or quietly missing Kate. I was fine, and I wasn't sure if that was good or not.

The other's sympathetic looks made me feel like I should feel bad though, so I decided to walk to school to escape their stares. I started walking the course I'd memorised from when Allison drove us to school. I enjoyed the fresh air walking by the forest, crunching the leaves beneath my feet. It helped lighten my mood, and just when I thought that maybe the day wouldn't be too bad, I passed the cemetery. My mood soured instantly as I looked at it, knowing I'd be there mere hours later for Kate's funeral.

I stopped walking when I recognised Isaac and his dad talking to the sheriff in the cemetery. I walked closer, curious, but I didn't want them to see me so I ducked behind a gravestone. Was this bad? Should I have been using someone's gravestone to hide behind while I spied on my friend and his father? Probably not, but oh well.

"You work for your father Isaac?" the Sheriff asked, looking up from his notepad.

Mr Lahey answered for him, arms crossed. "When he's not in school, which is where he needs to be in 20 minutes."

"Yeah, I understand that," the Sheriff said, "but I've got a missing teenage girl and our K-9 unit led us here. She's not wearing any clothes, and if she's out here tonight and the temperature really drops-"

Isaac interrupted in. "I'm sorry I- I didn't see anything."

He was slouching slightly, his hands shoved into the pockets of his jacket. I couldn't see his face from this angle, but his voice sounded tired, and I wondered how hard Mr Lahey worked him, and how much sleep he was getting.

Mr Lahey chuckled, glancing at Isaac. "Trust me, if he saw a naked girl outside a computer screen he'd remember."

Isaac looked uncomfortable, eyes downcast as he let his father make disgusting jokes about him. The sheriff stared at Mr Lahey, unamused, before moving his gaze to Isaac.

"How'd you get that black eye Isaac?" he asked

Mr Lahey's head turned to his son, and I craned my neck for a glimpse of said black eye but couldn't manage to see at that angle. I was surprised though; when had he gotton a black eye? It must have been after he left on Sunday, because he hadn't had one when we were hanging out.

"School," Isaac answered shortly

Noah raised an eyebrow. "School fight?"

Isaac shook his head slightly. "Nah, lacrosse."

I stared at the back of Isaac's head, feeling sick. Why did he lie? I knew he was lying, because I saw him Sunday and he didn't have lacrosse then, but why lie? What was he trying to hide? I just didn't understand it.

"Lacrosse?" Sheriff asked. "You play for Beacon Hills?" Isaac nodded. "My son plays for the team. Well I mean he's on the team, he doesn't technically play..."

I saw Isaac stare at something behind the Sheriff, looking uneasy, and followed his gaze but found nothing there except trees. The Sheriff, also noticing Isaac's focus being elsewhere, looked behind him but found nothing. What had Isaac been looking at?