Chapter 16

Allison and I arrived at the reserve, skipping the last few periods of school, and found Stiles leaning against the police van that Jackson was inside.

"They know," Allison said by way of greeting.

Stiles blinked in confusion. "What?"

"They know Jackson's missing," Allison clarified.

Stiles gave us an incredulous look, gesturing to the phone in his hand. "No, they can't. I've been texting his parents since last night. They don't have a clue."

"Gerard told us Jackson's parents went to the police," I said. "They know."

Stiles frowned, thinking, and Allison and I waited in tense silence for Stiles to figure out whatever he was thinking about. We watched as Stiles' eyes went wide and looked down to the phone in his hand that belonged to Jackson, a horrified expression on his face.

He ran into the front seat of the van, scrambling with the radio machine before finally managing to turn it on, Allison and I looking over his shoulder.

"All available units proceed to Beacon Hills Reserve as instructed. Proceed with caution until Sheriff Stilinski arrives. Repeat: proceed with caution."

Allison, Stiles, and I all looked at each other, the amount of trouble we'd gotton ourselves in dawning on us.

"Shit," I cursed.

We all got into the front seat of the van, which fortunately had three seats meaning none of us had to sit in the back with Jackson. Stiles threw Jackson's phone out the rolled down window before putting his foot on the gas, driving as far away from the phone as he could.

"I can't believe you kidnapped him," I muttered from the middle. "Why can't we just kill him instead?"

Stiles huffed, keeping his eyes on the road. "Because Scott doesn't want us to."

I scowled. "Stupid Scott."

I continued my sulking in silence, arms crossed as I fantasised all the ways I'd kill Jackson. Morally, I knew it was wrong to want to kill him, not to mention hypocritical since I'd gotton mad at Isaac for wanting to do the exact same thing, except when we thought Lydia was the Kanima. I was still allowed to dream though, and that's what I did for most of the car ride until my phone got a notification.

I looked at my screen, my heart doing a stupid flutter when I saw Isaac's name there. I unlocked my phone and looked at the text.

Isaac
you don't have anything to do with the kidnapping of Jackson, do you?

Y/n
if I was involved, they would have already found the dead body

Isaac
i'll take that as a no then

Y/n
smart boy

"Who are you texting?" Stiles demanded, making me look up from my phone. We'd stopped driving, parked somewhere else in the forest. "Why are you smiling so much?"

Before I could do anything, Stiles surged forward and snatched my phone out of my hands. I scowled in protest, reaching forward to take it back, but Stiles had already seen Isaac's name lighting up the screen.

He gasped, staring at me like I'd committed treason. "Isaac Lahey? Really? Out of all the guys in the world you choose him? Where is your taste in men?"

I glowered at him and attempted to grab my phone, but he moved it out of reach. "Keep your nose out of my business Stilinski."

"But he's the enemy," Stiles exclaimed, before he narrowed his eyes and flung his arm out, pointing at me accusingly. "You're fraternizing with the enemy!"