Chapter 13

I couldn't sleep that night, no matter how much I wanted to. My body was weak, my brain tired, yet it was still whirring around, thinking about the Kanima, Derek, but most importantly Isaac and the kiss. Why had he done it? Did it mean anything to him? And why had he left straight after? Did he have feelings for me?

I got up the next morning with tired eyes and a bad mood. Even more so because Isaac and I were still on opposite sides. I was glad he was on the run though, because I was not prepared to see him at school today, or at all.

I still didn't know what to say to him. I liked him a lot, but he was on the opposite team. I couldn't go frolicking with the enemy, could I? And he was the enemy, as painful as it was to admit it. Derek wanted to kill the Kanima, which meant Isaac would also help kill it, and I couldn't stand for that.

I sighed as I got into the car with Allison, the ride silent as my mind went over the kiss last night again. It had been something. The feeling of his lips on mine, the possessive way he had grabbed my hips and pulled me closer, like any space between us was an insult. The way he had stared at me after it, smug smile and all.

"You okay?" Allison asked when she parked the car. "You seem a bit out of it."

I sighed. "Just tired from last night."

Allison gave me an understanding smile and we got out of the car, walking towards the school together. We got our books, and had just reached class, entering the room, when I stopped in my tracks. Rooted to the floor, I stared at Isaac's back, my brain short circuiting once again. He was wearing the leather jacket again, and I couldn't think.

I couldn't think, couldn't breathe, couldn't blink as Isaac turned around, as if sensing my gaze, and our eyes met. It was like fireworks going off, the way he stared at me, with the tips of his lips tugging into a smirk, the way his eyes shone with excitement.

I was gonna throw up.

I grabbed Allison's hand and dragged her out the room, desperate to get away from him. What was happening? How was he here? Wasn't he still a fugitive?

"What are you doing?" Allison asked, though didn't stop me as I took her further away from the classroom.

I glanced furtively behind me, but Isaac didn't seem to be following us. "Isaac is back."

Allison followed my gaze. "It's not that bad. I thought Isaac was your friend."

I took Allison into the girl's bathroom, checking all the stalls were empty before turning to Allison. I was frantic, eyes darting to the door like Isaac was going to enter the room at any moment, even though it was the girl's bathroom.

"Isaac kissed me."

Allison gaped at me, eyes wide in shock as she stared at me, flabbergast, just as Lydia entered the room. She observed the scene with interest.

"Who kissed you?" she asked, only managing to catch the last part of the sentence.

Allison turned around, startled. "Why are you here?"

Lydia rolled her eyes. "I saw my two friends skipping class to talk in the bathroom, so I followed. Obviously."

I nodded, feeling nervous as I fidgeted with my hands, and Lydia repeated her question, looking at me expectantly.

I looked down at my feet as I mumbled, "Isaac Lahey."

Surprise crossed Lydia's face. "He's at school today."

I groaned, covering my face with my hands. "Exactly!"

"Do you like him?" Lydia questioned.

I shrugged, not sure what to say, and both girls glared at me. Apparently shrugging was not a good enough answer for them.