Chapter 07

A day had passed since I found out the Argents were the hunters. Since the war between werewolves and hunter began. A day that I spent couped up in my room, claiming to be sick, while I read as much of the book as I could. I needed to learn more spells. I needed more guidance on how to handle this situation. I needed more information on what to do.

So I read.

The entire day I had my head buried in the book, practising spells and gathering as much intel of werewolves as possible. I needed to be prepared, and since I felt anything but, I used all the time I had to try to be.

I wasn't sure what side to choose, but then I remembered Kate. She must have been a hunter, and if the woman who raised me was a hunter, whose family took me in when she died were hunters, surely I should choose that side, right?

When I'd taken a short break from reading to feed myself, I'd checked my phone and found a text from Isaac, asking if I was alright. It had made me smile, despite the anxiety I felt about the upcoming war. I'd texted him back, and had a short conversation with him on the phone before I was back to reading for the rest of the day.

I remembered that Isaac said his lacrosse practise was on today though, and I'd promised I'd go so I'd left the book at home and got to school early to see it. I made my way to the field, a place I was surprised to find I hadn't been to since moving here, and went to find a seat on the stands.

As I did so, I passed by Scott and Stiles and just so happened to overhear some of their conversation. It wasn't my fault they were talking so loud; I couldn't help it.

"Derek said the war started and that the best chance of winning is to find the witch," Scott relayed to Stiles.

I instantly felt uncomfortable, wondering if they knew the witch was me. They couldn't, right? I hadn't told anyone, and the book hadn't mentioned anything about werewolves being able to sense if I was a witch or not.

"The witch?" Stiles repeated.

Scott sighed. "Yes.

"As in the legend of the magical witch that will help us win the war?"

"Yes."

"As in the witch we don't even know the identity of?"

"Yes, Stiles." Scott said. "That's the one. Derek said she might go to this school-"

I hurried away before they finished, feeling nervous. They knew about me. They wanted to find me so I could help them win the war, even though I was already leaning towards the hunters. How could I let them get hurt though? They were just teenagers.

I sighed and pushed all witch related things out of my mind, moving forward to meet Isaac who had spotted me in the stands.

"Y/n, hey," he greeted, wearing the Beacon Hills Lacrosse uniform. I couldn't help but admire him for a second. "You feeling okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah, much better."

I looked at Isaac and noticed many things at the same time. His bruise was gone. He looked tired, with bags under his eyes. He seemed down, his mood low.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

Isaac nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm happy you're here."

I wasn't convinced he was fine, but I smiled anyway. "Me too."

I went to the stands and watched as the lacrosse team members started gathering on the field. I looked away to spot Stiles staring at me. He mouthed 'talk later' and I looked elsewhere, feeling guilty. I didn't want to talk later, because he was on the side I was against, yet I wasn't sure how I was going to avoid him.