Chapter 11

I kept my eyes on the road ahead as I drove, my hands gripping the steering wheel tighter than necessary. Scott sat next to me, one hand on his side where Derek had managed to slash him, as he stared wholes through the side of my head.

I knew I should talk to him, knew I should try to explain myself, but every time I tried I choked up and couldn't get the words out. What must he think of me, when he'd spent endless conversations trying to figure out how to find me? How must he feel knowing I was there all along yet kept myself hidden? I wouldn't be surprised if he hated me.

Still, after the ice rink incident, we'd gotton into Allison's car and Scott had told me to drive him to the Beacon Hills vet, because apparently his boss would be able to help him. I hadn't questioned it, and we hadn't talked since. The silence in the car was deafening, sitting between us as we waited for the other to break it.

Eventually Scott spoke first. "So, you're the witch, huh?"

I risked a quick glance his way. He didn't sound angry, and he didn't look mad either, but then again I didn't really know him well enough to be able to tell when he was angry or not. I nodded my head, unable to trust myself speaking.

"Why didn't you tell us earlier?"

There it was. The question. The one I was hoping to avoid. How could I tell him the truth? How could I confess that I let him believe I was on his side, that I was his friend, when in reality I was still pondering whether or not to annihilate his species?

"Because I wasn't sure I was on your side earlier," I said quietly.

The rest of the car ride was silent.

When we arrived at the vet, I offered to go in with him but Scott refused, claiming I should go home and get some rest. I felt my heart ache. The side I chose didn't even want me anymore. How great was that?

"Y/n?" Scott asked before I left.

I looked at him questioningly. "Yeah?"

He gave me a half smile. "Thanks for choosing us."

That was certainly not what I expected to come out of his mouth. "I- what?"

"Well, I mean, you were raised by Kate, a hunter, and you live with hunters. It's not that farfetched to think that you'd fight with them, since they're the closest thing you have to family. I just wanted to say your choice is appreciated. Like, a lot."

I smiled at him, still a little confused but glad to find that Scott didn't hate me. "You're welcome."

I went home after that, making a mental note to be extra nice to Allison tomorrow, maybe get her a cookie, for letting me borrow her car on such short notice. I entered the house, only to stop when I saw Gerard talking to Allison.

I felt uneasy around him. I had a suspicion he knew about me being a witch, which related to my theory that Kate knew I was a witch. If he did, he would no doubt be waiting for me to choose his side, which wouldn't end up well for me when he found out I was on the opposing team.

I decided I'd do some investigating on him tomorrow and went upstairs to my room, sighing contentedly when I collapsed onto my bed.

Today had been a long day.

. . .

As soon as I entered school the next day Stiles was upon me, asking questions after question about witchcraft. I answered his questions to the best of my ability, but some of the things he'd thought of stumped even me. Nevertheless I let him question me endlessly until I spotted Scott in the crowd heading towards us.

"Does he have an off switch?" I asked Scott when we met up with him, gesturing to Stiles.

Stiles scoffed. "Ha, ha, very funny."