Chapter 04

I felt nervous to see Isaac the next day. My encounter with his father kept going through my mind as I overanalysed everything he'd done and said during it. It was silly, but I couldn't stop the worry as I went downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning," Victoria greeted when she saw me.

I smiled slightly, grabbing a plate of food. "Morning."

I sat down and started eating when Chris entered the room, giving me a wave.

"Make any friends yesterday?" he asked me, a mug of coffee in his hand.

I nodded, my mind straying to Isaac and his curls. "Yeah, I did."

When we got to school, I followed Allison inside to her locker, where she seemed distracted as she looked at something at the end of the hall. I followed her gaze and found Scott staring back at her, a soft smile on his face.

"Why are you guys a secret?" I asked, breaking whatever moment they had going on.

Allison jumped, startled, and looked at me, an uncomfortable expression on her face as she shifted around. "Oh, um, my parents don't approve of him."

I could tell it was a sore topic for her so I dropped the subject, instead changing it to what classes we had first thing. When we realised we had the same ones, I bid her goodbye, promising to meet up with her before class started and wove my way through the crowd to my own locker.

I got my stuff, but my mind wouldn't stop nagging me about Isaac so eventually I gave up trying to ignore it and started looking for him. It was a struggle, especially with how big the school was and how many people walked through the halls, but I managed to find him at what must have been his locker.

I went up to him and somewhat awkwardly said, "hi."

Isaac's head shot up from where he'd been scrounging through his bag, startled, but his lips curved into a small smile when he recognised me. "Hey."

I felt relieved as I looked at him, my concerns finally calming down. He looked fine; no new bruises or cuts. He didn't even seem upset. I silently I told you so'd myself as I flashed him a smile, grateful he was okay.

I wanted to ask about his dad and about why he seemed so scared, but I was decided against it last minute, switching my question to what class he had first. When our classes didn't align we both let out a sigh of disappointment, then grinned sheepishly at one another.

We were interrupted by the warning bell ringing, signalling we only had 5 minutes till class, and we bid each other goodbye before going our separate ways. I met up with Allison and we went to our first class together: History.

I listened to our teacher drone on about the training American armies used to have to go through, and grimaced when I was reminded of my own training with Kate. It was safe to say that she had certainly never gone easy on me, and that every training day was like boot camp, not to mention the actual boot camp she'd sent me to over the summer when I was old enough.

Class after class went by, none of them with Isaac or Allison, and eventually lunch time rolled around. I got my food from the cafeteria and made a beeline to the table Isaac was sitting at, greeting him with a smile when I sat down opposite him.

We talked for majority of lunch, having warmed up to each other more after yesterday. Usually I took a while to make friends, but there was something about Isaac that just drew me in. It was comforting, and enticing, and I couldn't keep myself away.

We were talking still when Erica walked past us, glancing back at me. I smiled at her hopefully but she just looked away, continuing on and carefully avoiding Jackson's table. I sighed and focused back on Isaac when the conversation changed to extra curriculars.