2/9) Riverview Nursing Center Resident, Room 154: Miss Lacey

An estimated 1.7 million people a year sustain a traumatic brain injury. Long term consequences of trauma to the brain include: memory loss, changes in mood and emotions, and violence. Before she lost her mind, Lacey was an active member of the Wild Bunch. They considered her the most dangerous.

The room was bright and comfortable and clean, and smelled of lavender, but other than a few photos on the nightstand there was not much in the room to make it appear the current resident was loved. But, appearance's do sometimes lie, and this resident, known to all as Miss Lacey, was adored.

On this day, she was agitated, as was becoming more her current state than not.

Miss Lacey, though only in her late 50's or early 60's (so hard to guess her age because her skin was flawless) suffered from an advanced case of dementia. Although it mimicked Alzheimer's, and this is what Lacey called it herself when she was aware enough, the experts all agreed the roots of Lacey's problems stemmed from an earlier head injury she received maybe as early as childhood. This injury remained dormant until Lacey was involved in a car accident so mild as to be called a bump up at the time. Lacey's Matty noticed something was wrong right away, but it was only weeks later when she got lost coming home from the grocery store that Lacey was examined and found to have incurred significant cognitive loss, especially noted in her short term memory. Lacey deteriorated quickly, and though not suffering from Alzheimer's, was soon living on the Alzheimer's unit at Riverview because the care there was impeccable, and the unit was kept locked so residents did not wander off or beat the shit out of an unsuspecting staff member.

Lacey was prone to violence. Although in her case, her violence appeared to be related to protecting herself or those around her from perceived threats. Because she once broke a vase and tried to cut a thankfully agile young orderly who she said was trying to hurt her baby brother, efforts were made to keep Miss Lacey calm, including keeping routines. This is why her favorite new friend and my mom, Candi, was hired for private duty to look in on Miss Lacey each day and spend time with her. Miss Lacey thought Candi was company coming to visit and entertained her as a guest. Candi actually enjoyed caring for Miss Lacey. On calm days, Miss Lacey would listen to Candi and her problems. Miss Lacey might comment but never judged Candi. She was the perfect best friend.

On this date, Miss Lacey was already upset when Candi knocked on the door.

"Look at this mess these babies made," she said in exasperation as she straightened imaginary objects and righted an unseen chair.

"Oh, Miss Lacey, don't worry about it. Everything looks just fine." Candi knew "baby days" were days that made Miss Lacey nervous and anxious. "Why don't we put them all to bed early before daddy gets home?"

Although the doctors wanted the staff to treat the patients on the unit with the utmost respect and never confuse the past with current reality, the doctors were seldom here when things got bad. Candi knew Miss Lacey's reality was real enough for her whether it was current or not.

"Yes, yes, let's do, then I can go find my Matty and play. I want to go play. I get tired of being the mama all the time. Maybe daddy will let me play. Maybe, maybe, maybe."

Candi listened to enough ramblings from Miss Lacey to know there were reasons she was anxious and afraid. Candi did not like Miss Lacey's demons and tried to keep them away. Candi started to help with the unseen babies and soon they were all in bed though Miss Lacey kept telling them to - "Quit that giggling and go to sleep before I go get a switch".

Candi was certain the way those babies behaved, they were never switched, though they probably needed a good whupping.

It was four by the time, the real live grown Matty finally did arrive with a game of checkers in hand.

"Good day?" he asked.

Candi replied, "Well, once the babies went to bed."

Matthew Jenkins grinned at her in a conspiratory way and Candi again thought - Where have all the good men gone?

He then turned to Lacey and and asked, "How's my Stinker Bell today?"

Matthew then sat down to play a game with his first true love.