Part 3 - Villains

Daisy Now

You have been patient. I have foreshadowed death and treachery and revenge and mystery and love, and now it is time to give you some of what you want. Otherwise, you will do what I sometimes do and abandon this story. I want you to finish this story, so I am gonna now do what my future book jacket will promise and "put you into the mind of evil" because, hey, don't we all want to go take a peek.

I have to give credit here to Geoffrey Guthrie, reporter for the Mount Airy News, whose series on "The Collector" won him a Pulitzer for "Local, Investigative Reporting". His story included death, torture, and kidnapping, but not in exact horrific, specific details because the News is a family paper. Geoffrey Guthrie, a sports writer once known mainly for his ability to cover ball games from one end of the county to the other end in a single night and know athletes and their families and their connections, used his calm demeanor and patience to get the story. He was good at building relationships in the community, and it was because of his long-time friendship with the Collector that he got an interview. Geoffrey Guthrie possessed the courage to interview the deviant the first time and then the gastrointestinal fortitude to return.