9/4) The Final Mission

The Wild Bunch's final mission was personal. Forty years ago, Izito's mother vanished. He long ago gave up hope of ever finding her alive, but he wanted to know what happened to her. His research led him to Mount Airy, a town she lived in before she relocated to Boston. Of all his retirement options, this, and his colleagues' failing health, is what drew him to Mount Airy. He still carried the postcard with a Pilot Mountain picture on it that was his last message from his mom. It said:

Going home to Boston. Call you in a week. Want to spend some time with you and see you over the break. So proud of you. Be brave. Be a hero. I miss you. I love you. Mom

When he did not see or hear from her for weeks after the promised call, Izito was a little worried, but his mother was somewhat of a nomad, so Izito was not too worried. Two months later, he was worried. He traveled to Boston and was able to get in her apartment. His mom paid the rent for a year ahead of time, and her things were still there, but the landlord and neighbors had not seen her in months. One neighbor remembered talking to her at the local coffee shop. She was looking for a new job the neighbor remembered.

He searched that year and for years after and never a trace of her existence or her exit from earth. Databases revealed nothing. His contacts searched files and questioned sources. Not a trace. She was gone, and Izito was lost. Lost for years on years on years. Even a grown man old enough to have grandchildren misses his mom. More importantly, in the line of work he was in, he had seen it all, and he refused for his mom to be a forgotten murder victim buried in an unmarked grave. After all these years, Izito was certain she was killed. Murdered. It was the only explanation for her vanishment.

Nothing would keep his mom from him. Izito would not rest until he found out what happened to her. His friends promised to help him. It was their final mission.

After all these years, Izito hoped there were still people who remembered his mom, and that is where he was today. Standing at the door to the home of his mom's last friend in this town.

He knocked on the door. Beatrice answered.

"Hello, my name is Izito Lee. I think you used to be friends with my mom. She lived in Mount Airy many years ago. I was told you were a good friend to her. Her name is Naomi. Naomi Caudle Lee."

"Oh," said the momentarily surprised Beatrice. Ever the genteel lady, she quickly recovered. "Hello, Izito. Your mother told me so much about you. Won't you come in?" from the always polite Beatrice. She seated him in the living room and went to the kitchen to get them some sweet tea and sugar cookies. On the way, she stuck her head in the door of the study and explained to Charles that an unexpected visitor was in the living room asking about her old friend, Naomi.

"Oh? That is interesting. And great news. Maybe, he has some answers for you."

"I sure hope so," said Beatrice. "I sure hope so."

Charles, also always polite and well trained in how to treat a guest, went down the hall to meet the visitor and shake his hand.

"That's an interesting necklace you have on," said Uncle Charles. "Are you from North Carolina?"

"Yes, I am. A long time ago." Izito touched his hand to the tiny charm. "This belongs to my mother."

"Well, I am sure she is lovely in it. I remember meeting her once or twice. How is your mother? "

"Gone," said Izito.