3/6) Villain: Dr. Brook Kinkaid

Villains come in all sizes. This one was 5 feet four inches tall with heels and weighed 110 pounds. This villain was no super villain but an everyday villain. We all have them in our lives. The one you encounter at the grocery store line in a crowded store when there's a snowstorm coming and only one gallon of milk left, and you have an infant at home. Or the villain you encounter in the return line after Christmas. Or the villain you see everyday at work.

Dr. Brook did not like the Wild Bunch. They pretty much acted like they owned the place, and while she did not own Riverview Retirement Center, she was the boss. She especially did not like Matthew Jenkins. He was always butting his nose into her business. One irksome habit of his was William. That fruitcake was the worst business mistake she ever made. She should have followed her gut instead of her heart and not listened to those kids. Her biggest problem with William - he was universally loved. No matter how crazy he acted, all the residents and visitors loved him. Mainly because of his annoying habit of always singing. He would sing any request you asked of him. He knew all the old standards that older people loved. Damn she was sick and tired of Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett and please, no more broadway show tunes! Evita and Oklahoma and Bali Hai could quit calling.

Singing William seemed at times happy, and Dr. Brook knew he was not. He should be barely functioning from grief. It was so damn annoying.

Dr. Brook prided herself on telling people what to do and demeaning what she called ignorant people because she was smart and always right. When she tried to reprimand William for being off task, there was Matthew Jenkins saying something like, "Now Dr. Brook, we know William has to sweep and keep things picked up, but we do love his music," or, "Dr. Brook, do you think I could borrow William for just a minute so he could go sing with my Lacey?'"

Matthew killed her with kindness, and he knew it, and Dr. Brook knew it too. She did not like to be killed with kindness, she knew when she was being manipulated. She was also smart enough not to offend or argue with Matthew Jenkins. She knew enough about power to know he held some, though it was understated, and he did not wield it often. She needed to find a new way to show him she was the person in charge.

Dr. Brook decided to get back at Matthew using her traditional method. She would prey on the weak. She called Candi to the office for questioning that included a reprimand and a threat.

She said: Candi I will be talking to several of the staff members today about a problem we are having at Riverview that must be stopped. I understand you and others are moonlighting and doing additional private duty sitting before and after your shifts. Studies of employees working beyond eight hours a day have determined they become less effective in their regular duties. Therefore, effective today you will cease to perform additional hours on our premises, or you will be terminated. Do you understand?

Candi said: But I depend on this extra income. I have a daughter to support. I'm all alone. I'm a single mom.

To which Dr. Brook responded: Not my problem. And, (as if she were the Queen of England) you are dismissed.

This is why Candi found another job and fast. This is what led to my mom working for the mayor and later, for her to be linked to his disappearance.

Author's Insight: We all have a Dr. Brook in our life too. Sadly, sometimes she/he is your boss. Or worse, a relative.