8/13) Romey Honeycutt Continues his Hero Tale as Told to Celebrity Magazine

I heard a shot ring out. I tried to call the Sheriff's office. "Dammit Brenda," I said, "I don't care if he is in Elkin or not. Tell the Sheriff to get someone out to the old Miller place. Shots have been fired."

Then, I saw Randall Michael Wall run out the door limping with a knife still stuck in his leg and get into his car and take off. I made a split second decision and decided to pursue. I still had my old blue light, and I attached it to the top and took off after him.

We must have been going 50 - 60 miles an hour around the curvy road. I rammed his car with my bumper. I was used to high speed chases. I had been in many in my days on the force, not to mention that I used to race at Bowman Gray on the weekends when I was younger. Nothing like it. I loved me some racing and, the best part, ramming cars.

Randall Michael Wall's car started to swerve sideways a little, and this slowed him down some. Then, we met the girls on their bikes. At the time, I did not know it was the girls. I only saw pedestrians on their bikes. Right there, Randall Michael Wall probably did the only good thing he ever did in his life. He could have run them down and kept on driving, but he didn't. He turned his car sharp to the left to avoid hitting them square on, and flipped twice and ended up in the cornfield.

I braked as soon as I could, but it ain't easy to go from 55 miles an hour to zero. I ended up half in the road and half in a ditch to the right momentarily knocked out. I didn't know what happened to the girls til later.