5/3) Hero: Izitio, Peacemaker

Some heroes are strong and have muscles and throw their weight around, and some just use their brains to save the day.

Matthew Jenkins could throw his weight around if needed. He could call in a favor. He could scare the bejesus out of you. He could make things happen without you ever knowing how he did it. He knew multiple methods of persuasion. He chose to use his considerable charm on Dr. Brook, but the charm lasted about two minutes before he lost his normally calm demeanor and extensive patience with this formidable foe.

Matthew said: I am not happy about this situation with Candi. My Lacey needs her and I hired her to help her. I was paying her with my own funds, and I feel like I should be the one to decide when she is no longer needed.

Dr. Brook said: I understand, Mr. Jenkins, but I am in charge of Riverview Retirement Center, and I have to look at the broader picture. I have to look out for the needs of all the residents. I am sorry that you feel this was unfair to Candi, but I have to make tough decisions sometimes as I look at what is best for Riverview. All of Riverview.

Matthew said: Dr. Brook, I appreciate that you believe, truly believe, you are in charge, but you are not. We know who is really in charge here, and it is not you. Now, I do not have a problem with you running this facility, but I do have a problem with how you are treating Candi and the other employees here. I do not like a bully, and you are a bully. You need to change or you go, do you understand?

Matthew told Dr. Brook how it was going to be, or else.

Dr. Brook said: Who do you think you are talking to? I believe you are threatening me. I could file a police report on you, Mr. Jenkins. Now, of course I won't do that, but I will not be talked to in this manner. I have made my decision and it stands.

Matthew said: A threat, by definition, is an indication or warning of probable trouble so - you are right. This is a threat. I consider this your warning. Do not make this go to the next stage.

Matthew added: Everything you heard about me is true. But there is more, much more. More than you could ever imagine. I normally have a lot of patience with people like yourself who believe they are above others because most of the time they were raised to believe this. There is a truth you do not and may not ever understand. People are the same. They have value, no matter where they come from. Choices make people different, but we all have them. People are the same. We hurt the same. We feel the same. We damage easily. We are all born. We all die. We all end up in the earth. (He paused and took a breath, almost a sigh, and continued). We all end up in the earth, if there is anything left to end up in the earth. Nothing changes this. Do not make me show you how much we are all the same. Do you understand?

Dr. Brook swallowed and said: I do understand, but I do not like your tone, Mr. Jenkins. I can have the whole lot of you thrown out of here.

Izito entered the room from the hall. Izito, always a peacemaker, said: I am sorry, Dr. Brook. Matthew sometimes gets a little out of line and forgets momentarily he is in a different world here. Now, normally we do not threaten civilians (he said this more to Matthew than Dr. Brook). We normally prefer sugar to salt, so I have a proposition for you. My colleagues and I have lived in strife and conflict for many years, and we are settled now, and we prefer peace in our old age. We want harmony in our surroundings (again this was said more to Matthew). I have a proposition for you, and it favors your desires as well. I have something you want and need badly.

Izito told her his offer. Dr. Brook listened. Dr. Brook accepted the offer.

Dr. Brook said: I will talk to Candi today. And, I am sorry about this misunderstanding, Mr. Jenkins.

Matthew said: No problem, Dr. Brook. But there is one more thing. Lighten up on William.