The Last Birthday Gift (2)

type: ANGST

parts: 2/2

plot: ... you know i never give you a plot when its angst >:)

pls i went through my 3 spotify lists while writing this it has taken way too long-

--

Sweat from Sapnap's back and palms was enough to bring him back to the present. Instead of focusing on the scene in front of him, Sapnap's eyes were fixed on the ground. The two nurses could be heard mumbling behind the locked door as it swung shut behind him.

A "poor boy."

And- "he was so young, too."

"Just give him some time to say it."

"His family is going to be crushed."

Sapnap clenched his fists and he wondered if the nurses were talking about him

Or if they were talking about Dream.

Soft breathing woke Sapnap up. The ravenette scanned the room in front of him. It looked like a hospital wing. There were several empty beds but at the very end, a bed was occupied but the user was smothered in a blue blanket, breathing heavily and softly panting as though they had trouble breathing.

Sapnap walked to the occupied bed and stared down at Dream.

This Dream was sickly and withered, yet the Dream Sapnap knew was buoyant and consistently vibrant, thus it couldn't be. Sapnap experienced a feeling of having his heart torn from his body.

With a sardonic smile, the blonde turned to face Sapnap. "Hey."

On a chilly day, relief was a bucket of cold water. "Dream! I-"

"You didn't return my hello." He interrupts his dream and starts to laugh again.

Sapnap guffawed. "I want to hate you, but I just can't."

Dream's facial expression altered to obscure. The laughter in Sapnap's throat stopped.

"Happy birthday," Dream said softly, smiling.

"What?" Sapnap spun around, looking for a calendar. He spotted one near a window, a fresh new, crisp page had been added: March.

"Oh." Sapnap whistled quietly. He patted himself as if to reassure him to himself he was still there. "Thank you."

Dream eyes filled with tears, his smile was nothing but a thin line. "Love ya."

"Love you." Sapnap pulled Dream into a gentle hug. They stayed like that, both wishing they would never let go. But Dream pried himself out of Sapnap's warm embrace and smiled again at him. But the smile froze in place.

"I wish I could say it gets easier for you, sweet heart." Dream murmured.

"If you're with me, everything will be." Sapnap promised.

Suddenly, Dream broke down in tears. Sapnap's guts felt like they were getting wrenched apart. A puzzle began to form in Sapnap's mind, one that had made no sense for so long, but now it had finally made agonizing sense.

"When tomorrow comes, you will be there, won't you?" Sapnap asked hesitantly.

Dream didn't answer.

"You'll be with me forever, right? Right?" Sapnap asked, his hands as heavy as rocks.

Dream's eyes focused on something behind Sapnap. "Sometimes, forever seems to end quite quickly."

The puzzle piece shoved Sapnap right in the heart. "Tell me I'm wrong. Please. Just say it."