Chapter 13: Making Deals

Ares's POV

Luckily my mom lives in Paris, honestly there was no point of me going on this field trip because I've lived in Paris half my life with my mother but I just needed an excuse to talk to Kiya to apologize again.

"My goodness, Ares" my mama said, as she stood in the kitchen chopping up lettuce and tomatoes on her cutting board.

Fuck how did she find the knives.

I groaned internally to see that she was wearing her wedding dress again. Today was shaping up to be a very bad day. In more ways than one.

"Hey mother" I said. "Need any help?"

"No, no, I've got it covered. I'm thinking of bringing some paninis over to Zeus. He loves my sandwiches"

I grimaced. "Mother.... Father is in California remember?"

A cloud moved over my mom's features, but she smiled brightly at me and shook her head.

"No, no, I just saw him last night,  Ares and the sun is so beautiful..." She continued  humming some nameless tune and smiling a small smile to herself.

"Mother, did you take your medicine today?" I ask

Her head snapped up, a confused look replacing the small smile. "Medicine? Oh, no, hunny, I don't need medicine anymore." She shook her head. "That stuff makes me want to sleep all the time...makes me feel so funny and foggy." She wrinkled her cute little nose as if it was just the silliest thing. "No, I've gone off that medicine. And I feel wonderful!"

"Mama, Father and I have told you a hundred times you can't just go off your medicine." I walked over to her and laid my hand on her arm. "Mother, you'll feel good for a little while and then you won't. You know I'm right."

Her face fell just a little as she stood quickly chopping away.

Then she shook her head. "No, this time will be different. You'll see. And this time, Zeus will move all of us up to that nice house of his. He'll see that he needs me with him...he needs all of us with him."

"Mother, I already live there with him in Cali" I said

My shoulders sagged as defeat made my limbs feel heavy. I was too tired to deal with this.

My mom patted her deep dark hair and smiled brightly again. "I've still got my looks, Ares. Zeus always says I'm the most beautiful woman in Paris." Her eyes grew dreamy as they always did when she talked about how beautiful my father said she was.

She turned toward me with a smile then went back to chopping up vegetables.

I was startled as the kitchen door flew open and Uncle Ajax burst inside

"What are you doing here?" Ajax my uncle on my mama's side asks

"Field trip" I said moving my eyes over towards mama, who was placing the panini bread in a container. The smile vanished from Uncle Ajax's face.

"Hey there, sis, what are you doing?" He asked as he took his jacket off and tossed it aside.

Mama looked up and smiled prettily. "Bringing Zeus sandwiches" she said as she snapped the lid on the container and walked with it into the dining area.

"No you're not" Uncle Ajax said, his voice sounding bitter.

Mother blinked at him. "Why yes, Ajax, I am."

"Give me the knife, Cassandra. Ares, go get her medicine." Uncle Ajax said

Mama started shaking her head vigorously as I went off to get her medication