In the Shadow of Longing

Suggested soundtrack: Bad Idea (Slowed Version) - Girl In Red (Thanks to @Ace_501 for helping me discover this song <3)

A week has passed since Ominis and I last spoke, and we have kept true to our word and finally managed to get everyone's schedules aligned to go out for butterbeer tonight. Poppy, Ominis, Sebastian, and I will be meeting in Hogsmeade at the Three Broomsticks.

My fingers tremble as I brush out my hair and pin back a strand on either side of my head with butterfly pins that Imelda has gifted me in the past. Tonight will be my first time actually seeing Sebastian again since we last met in the Undercroft.

After that night, I'd been terrified that he would disappear on me again, but he stayed in touch. He had been busy during the week with some exams, but sent me a few owls, just updating me on his studies and his day. When I invited him by letter to butterbeer with everyone tonight, he wholeheartedly agreed. "I've been waiting to see you again," his letter read, and I'd gotten chills. It almost feels like a bad idea to see him again, but I push that thought to the back of my mind.

With how Poppy and Ominis have been acting together recently, it almost feels like it will be a double date, but I try not to think of it like that. I'm sure Sebastian is not thinking of it like that.

Imelda comes to the bathroom and leans against the door frame, watching me get ready.

"Oh, the butterfly clips are coming out tonight? Who are we trying to impress?" she asks, shooting me a sly smile.

I laugh nervously. "I'm not trying to impress anyone. Just want to look good for a nice night out. I haven't seen these friends in a long time."

"You're not fooling me, Jasmine. I know you're back in touch with that Sallow boy of yours. It's painfully obvious, I don't know why you're trying to hide it from me."

I stop brushing my hair and look at her, shocked.

She's still smiling at me and raises her eyebrows knowingly.

"You see...I...I'm sorry, Imelda. I just didn't know what to think and didn't know if it would last. I didn't want to bother you about it."

"Bother me, Jasmine? As if! Just admit you've been too much of a wuss to tell me and let's move on. I expect you to spill the beans when you get back to the dormitories tonight. That is..if  you get back to the dormitories tonight," she says, rolling her eyes.

"Stop it!" I exclaim, laughing in relief. "I promise I'll tell you everything." I'm glad she's not upset with me at least for leaving her in the dark for a while.

I think she understands that Sebastian is different for me and I struggle to talk about him. Though Imelda will most certainly pry for the truth, she doesn't push too far until I'm ready. She has perfect judgment in that sense for knowing exactly the type of support I need when I need it.

I finish up getting ready, and take one last look at the mirror before heading out to Hogsmeade. My skin is flushed, eyes alight with anticipation.

***

When I arrive at the Three Broomsticks, I scan the crowd, and see that Poppy and Ominis have already grabbed us a table. I try not to let my heart drop at the fact that Sebastian is not there yet. His prior ghosting has led to a deep mistrust of him, and I fear that he might not show up tonight.

When Poppy spots me, her face lights up and she waves me over wildly. The table they've procured has a bench on either side, and Ominis and Poppy are sharing one of the benches. I walk over and hug both of them.

"I'm so glad we're finally doing this, Jasmine! We really do need to start meeting up more frequently. I miss how much time we used to spend together in fifth year," Poppy says, her face lighting up.