Chapter 51 - United Nations

For a while I just stared at his slumbering face, taken back by his lingered presence. Lucio stayed. He didn't have to, but he stayed. I tried to ignore the intrusive thoughts in my mind that wanted me to reach out and brush some locks of his hair out of his face, just to prove to myself that this wasn't a dream. But I did not want to wake him. The light of the sun broke through the curtains, leaving a trail across his face as the contact of its warmth briefly made the man flinch, his eyes and nose twitching.

Slowly his eyes fluttered open, and what was once a tired groaning thin line, turned into an adorning smile on his lips. "Morning,"

"Good morning," I softly smiled back.

"How are you feeling?" He asked me, his voice sounding a tad groggy.

For a moment I just processed the question, not really saying anything, until my lips spoke the words faster than my brain could contemplate them fully, "You stayed,"

He offered me a sincere look as he jabbed his elbow into the pillow, propping his head up with his hand. "I wanted to,"

The smile never strayed as Lucio reached his hand out gently, his fingers gliding over the bedsheets. Meeting him halfway, our fingers intertwined as he held my hand tightly as if to keep me anchored.

"Did you want to talk about it?" He asked, his thumb brushing against my skin.

"What happened to the plan of plausible deniability?" I spoke cautiously, my grip on his fingers tightening ever so slightly.

"As far as I'm concerned, your brother and the assassin are two different people," he responded calmly as if it were the most rational thing he could come up with.

"Lucio, they— they did things to him. Awful things," I shuddered at the memory of watching them experiment and torture him into submission.

Tears perked in my eyes as I looked away to try to calm myself as if that would stop them from leaking down my face. Lucio carefully pulled our intertwined hands closer to his face, pressing a gentle kiss on my hand. His linger lips gained my attention as his warm breath bathed the surface of my skin.

"We'll rescue him, Hope, I promise," Lucio's voice was firm but sincere as his gaze locked on to my own. "You wait right there. It might not be a total fix, but I think some breakfast will help cheer you up,"

He offered me a wink with his sweet smile before pulling away the bed. I immediately missed his warmth as he carefully walked out of the bedroom, disappearing into the living room. He emerged minutes later wearing his new leg braces, minus the rollerblade addon.

"Madam, breakfast is served," He made a royal attempt at a french accent, giving me a curt bow.

"What did you do?" I laughed, watching his antics as he gracefully stalked around the mattress, coming to my side.

"You'll see!" He grinned before gently grasping my shoulder to push me back into my pillow. "No, no, don't get up, I got'chu!"

Lucio didn't let me lift a finger as he proceeded to treat me as if I were royalty. He pulled back the covers before scooping me up in his arms, his arms hooked under my knees and around my shoulders as he carried me in bridal position out of the bedroom.

There was no use hiding the pink flush on my cheeks, especially after that I found what he had made in the kitchen. He made me breakfast. Literal breakfast. My eyes trailed to the cutlery set up on the counter and the aroma of the omelet nearly sent me into a food-crazed spiral.

"You made this for me?" I gasped as he set me down on the counter chair.

"Of course! I said it'd cheer you up, didn't I?" He grinned.